broken 4 wheel drive lever

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
well this week end a friend borrowed the truck :dunno (i know that was my mistake). well he was moving stuff around his property and its kinda muddy so he throws it in 4 wheel then i dont know what happened he got stuck or something and goes to put it in 4 low and i am guessing that he neglects to push the lever down like it says and he brake it right off-cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss :mad: :mad: :mad:
well i called evey junk yard around and went to alot of them around here but no one has one for my truck-cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss so does anyone have one laying around that they will sell me i pay for shipping. if so let me know;Sweet
Mike

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
usually its a ford part, arouind $$150
I have one but Im not giving it up.:backoff
they are made of pot metal, and if they seize up they will brake with little force.
I had to replace one in my old 96.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually its a ford part, arouind $$150
I have one but Im not giving it up.:backoff
they are made of pot metal, and if they seize up they will brake with little force.
I had to replace one in my old 96.
Is this the shift lever with the kind of spring-loaded shock-absorber type lockout - the one that comes on the ZF5? If that's what you're looking for, I have one in nice shape. PM me an offer....

Flatbedford

Reaction score
Mine broke too. I had the guys in the machine shop at my job weld it back together. After the welding, I thoroughly cleaned and greased it. It seems, the rubber boot isn't very good at keeping the lube in. It's held up for a couple years now. I think Ford charges even more than $150 for it.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine over the past year, it sucked because i had to hold rubber boot portion of shifter and yank the top back just to get truck into 4wd and then most the time it popped into neutral. So i lived with it during the summer and just this week i fixed it. What i did was i used a different shifter assembly and all from a gasser truck. i went to the junkyard found a early 90's model truck and bought the linkage from it. it is the one where you go down to 4HI the over left to N and down to 4Low. the linkage bolted up correctly, but you have to use all the linkage to the transfer. the only down side is that the shifter sits higher, so when i go to lock it in 4wd i cant pull on top of knob, (sits too close to dash) i have to pull on the lever, till i get it in 4hi then i can use the knob then. the up side of it was it wasnt $260 like what the stealership wanted for a replacement for mine, and it is out of the way more in the cab. (more room) I will post up pics as soon as i get a chance too. All in all it took me maybe 30 min to swap mine out. I hope this helps ya!

now i have 4wd again!!

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i just pulled one off of a 90's bronco with an e4od. it looks like it will bolt to the trans okay but i havent installed it yet. its nice then the one that came off of my truck cause its made of steel not cheap a$$ cast aluminum(What the were thinking there is beyond me?:dunno )