breaking emulsification oil/water

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I scored 40 gal of hyd oil this past weekend from work. I hauled it home and was just about to dump it in my bulk tank when I noticed it was definately "wet"....milky looking mess. #hit. I took a pint sample and stuck it in a glass gar and microwaved the hell out of it, getting it up to 265F....and watched it boil. Then filtered through several paper towels...the result was a nice light amber/clear colored product with a good amount of sludge left in the bottom of the jar.

Looking at the plastic drum of mixed mess this morning....the bottom 20% of the barrel is definatley "white"....you can see through the plastic to some extent. It appears to be seperating to somewhat. The oil up top still looks like a milk shake. I took a second sample in a jar when I nuked the first sample. It is sitting in my garage and not really seperating at all.

I recall one of the WVO/BIO sites talking about breaking emulsifications by adding MORE water to the mix...mixing it and letting it settle.

Will this work or did I not understand? Any other ideas? Maybe I'll be hauling this batch back to work and saying "heck with it"....

I also considered setting up a dryer like the wvo guys are using....

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
heet works pretty good for some of it skim off the good then do it again till you get the water out unless you get a turkey fryer and just heat it up slowly just be careful.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i am not sure what to do here but please let use know if you get a methode worked out in case some others here run into this.

obinella

Reaction score
cheapest way would be to stash it behind the garage and forget about it till next winter. the water will freeze and you can pour off the oil.

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. 55 gallons of irish cream. Mine seems to be seperating but very slowly. I won't need it for at least a few more months so I am going to try to just let it seperate on its own. I have a jar of it that has cleared up on the top half in about 3 weeks.

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Last night I threw a gallon in a pot and put it on top of my wood stove. Boiled it. It was at 240 when I pulled it off. There was still some water left, but it was seperated.

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
Ugh I have the same problem exept mine got pumped into my Reartank By accident So now I have to drain It I am thinking about a pit **** on my tank to drain the water when this happens.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I played with some methanol....Mixed the oil/water mess mixture with about 5% alcohol and shook the pizz out of it and let it sit. The nasty did settle to the bottom overnight leaving pretty clear oil. I haven't tried it in a large scale. I bought a few bottoles of cheap rubbing alcohol (92%) ....gonna try that.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat is the simple way to do it. I pulled out the turkey fryer and heated 4 gallons up to 230 or so and let it sit over night to cool....the result was very clear...the cloudy look was gone. I guess I'll be looking for a used electric water heater

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Yea thats what I did too. Just heated mine on my woodstove in the shop. About 4 gallons at a time. I just kept cooking till it quit boiling, assuring all the water was gone, not just seperated. Then dumped it hot right in my storage tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online