Brakes

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when i got my new wheels and tires the guys told me my pads were gone and rotors scored. Great but whatever, easily replaced. My question is what would u guys recommend doing. I was just gonna chuck up the front disk and take a few thousandths off with a lathe, get new pads and be done with it. Would u guys get new rotors too? If so which ones.

Thx

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be a min. thickness cast into the rotor. If you can resurface without going under that thickness they should be fine.

7.3shrk

Check into the price of new rotors. If there is not too much of a price difference between the machine costs and new ones, it might be worth the extra money and peace of mind.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he machine cost im not worried about, i can do it myself or a good friend of mine has a CNC lathe that it can be done on. Rotors are about $90 a piece. pads about $50. Thats what i can get here.

frozenrotors

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Frozen Rotors

he machine cost im not worried about, i can do it myself or a good friend of mine has a CNC lathe that it can be done on. Rotors are about $90 a piece. pads about $50. Thats what i can get here.

If your thinking about going with new rotors, you should check out Frozen Rotors. They are cryo treated, so they will never warp, and they will last two to three times longer than non treated premium rotors. We have them for your truck for $96.50 per rotor and I can get you a set of VelveTouch brake pads for $52.30. VelveTouch is a "fleet" brake pad made by Wellman Friction Products... the same company that makes Hawk Brake Pads. These pads would be similar to the Hawk LTS Brake Pads that you hear everyone talking about on these forums.

I am a supporting vendor on this forum as well as on SuperDutyDiesel.com so if you have any question please let me know.

John
FrozenRotors.com

sootman73

Reaction score
Autozone sells brake pads as cheap as $14 and come with a 1 year warranty! autozone also has pads that go up to $64 in like $20 increments or less. i usually get the $18 set.

this is for my '94 though so it may be different but i dont think so if i can recall my friends '87

i found that the best thing to do is get the lifetime warranty rotors and brake pads. you'll have to change them more often but it wont cost you a thing. my friend has done this for a few years now and has changed rotors once and pads like 6 times. didn't spend anything but the gas to get to the store.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i work for a place called autoanything.com and i can get set of HAWK pads for like 50 bucks. Talking to the other data guys they all recommend HAWK. And the Rotors would be like powerstop or something. But it is a truck, and old truck so idk if its worth spending that kinda money. So maybe ill take your advice we got a good autozone right down the street, good guys there. Lifetime warranty is bad a** too. On wear items, thats pretty cool.

frozenrotors

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you have the time to wrench on your vehicle frequently, than the autozone brakes are probably the way to go. Let me know how everything goes fo ya. What do you do for autoanything.com?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently do IT work, but I have also done database work for them.

I do have time to wrench on my truck so we will see.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the time to wrench on your vehicle frequently, than the autozone brakes are probably the way to go.
I tend to agree with that...how long will the AutoZone pads last? It's something to keep in mind...if a more expensive set of pads will last longer than a cheaper set, you may end up spending less in the long run.

I don't know what brand my pads are, but I've got at least 50K miles on them (they were installed when my uncle still owned the truck), and the last time I looked at them, they had about 50% of their material left... :dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your thinking about going with new rotors, you should check out Frozen Rotors. They are cryo treated, so they will never warp, and they will last two to three times longer than non treated premium rotors. We have them for your truck for $96.50 per rotor and I can get you a set of VelveTouch brake pads for $52.30. VelveTouch is a "fleet" brake pad made by Wellman Friction Products... the same company that makes Hawk Brake Pads. These pads would be similar to the Hawk LTS Brake Pads that you hear everyone talking about on these forums.

I am a supporting vendor on this forum as well as on SuperDutyDiesel.com so if you have any question please let me know.

John
FrozenRotors.com
john-
can you verify if you do have rotors for this generation of trucks?
My '92 CC dually is due for rotors and I've seen the results on cryo treated rotors in the past. I'm impressed.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm supprised no one has said this yet...Check and adjust your rear brakes! I would burn out a set of front pads a year until I figured that out! I am on set 3 for the front and since I fixed the rears, I have 3 years on the front pads and they still look great!
And yes these are the lifetime replacement Autozone specials.

frozenrotors

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Frozen Rotors

john-
can you verify if you do have rotors for this generation of trucks?
My '92 CC dually is due for rotors and I've seen the results on cryo treated rotors in the past. I'm impressed.

Yes, we can source rotors for any vehicle. We don't have them on our website because there is not a huge demand, but maybee I will change that because I am begining to realize that there are more of these trucks still being driven than I previously thought. Price for your '92 would be $96.50 per rotor and $52.30 for the pads.

If you decide to order please let me know and I will be sure to get you the OilBurners.net 5% off discount

John Brick
FrozenRotors.com

sootman73

Reaction score
I tend to agree with that...how long will the AutoZone pads last?

they will prob last a year if your rear brakes are adjusted properly. but with those you only have to buy them once. the lifetime warranty takes care of them from there on. doesn't cost anything a year later for new pads. could get the pads and a week later get new ones again if you can wear them out that fast. i dont think its possible though.

i dont know how well they would work with towing though. they dont have the grooves to vent brake gases and therefore dont grip as good. i prob wouldn't use them if you towed a lot of weight all the time. they will work fine for occasional towing though. mine worked fine with my friends gooseneck horse trailer and also with a 24' gooseneck with my friends 93 f 150 on it.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i dont agree with the cheap way. i find those cheap brakes tend to crack around the rivets or bonding and the rotors suffer from heat fractures. plus i dont have the time to tear down and replace something once or more a year when i can leave the better kind on for 3-5 years with periodic checks when i rotate the tires.

i personally use Bendix OE style rotors (usually $10-15 more then the cheapies) and Bendix Titianiumetallic pads (again, about $10-15 more then the cheapies) and they work great. i have never had to turn the rotors on any vehicle i used them on and the pads wear excellent and even. they are a semi metallic so they dust more but its a small price to pay IMO.

i would love to get the expensive kind of rotors/pads but if i need to replace them i know i can get mine are and advance auto anytime.

oh and i generally dont like to turn rotors more than once, after that they tend to warp quickly, even if it is above the min spec. another big cause of rotor warpage is improper tightening of the lug nuts and them loosening over time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online