Brake/Rabs issue, no rear bleeding

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's got to be cleaned up anyway, air is not an issue once the things working right.
Get a big syringe, feed lot or pharmacy.
Or trigger oilcan.
Keep the mc full gravity will purge the rabs inlet, pull bleeder clean install and bleed rabs, head to rears

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have partial success. I gave it squirt of 90psi shop air, basically as fast as I could click it air gun. That did not work so I bled off a little pressure up front, pumped up the power bleeder, held the brake pedal to the floor and started the engine while the rear passenger bleeder was barely open. The pedal pumped back up and I was able to push it down with the engine running. I checked the rear fill bottle and it was half full. I did it again and it filled the rest of the way.

I will know in the morning for certain when I try and finish bleeding both rears again. It is too hot for this old man. It "cooled off" to 102 but I have had enough for the day.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do like I did and just take the RABS valve out. The in and out lines on my 89 were both standard lines with the stanard nuts. A standard flare coupler coupled them right together.

Yes I get rear wheel slide on a empty panic stop. But it's nothing I can't handle. What did we do in the old days with no proportioning valves and no ABS systems?

Last edited:

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do like I did and just take the RABS valve out. The in and out lines on my 89 were both standard lines with the stanard nuts. A standard flare coupler coupled them right together.

Yes I get rear wheel slide on a empty panic stop. But it's nothing I can't handle. What did we do in the old days with no proportioning valves and no ABS systems?
I know people have done that but that is not my style if I have the option to correctly fix something. Though I did not become a mechanic as a trade I have been turning wrenches since the mid 70's when I was a teenager working after schools and summers in a small shop and can count on one hand the number of times I have paid someone else to work on my vehicles. I like to fix things if possible instead of hacking around them. The endless ABS light would also irritate me as the RABSII "computer" would see a fault.

I am about to put this old truck on the market after several years and over 4 grand in maintenance parts to make it as mechanically sound as possible, and it is. I could never let this truck go without a properly functioning brake system.

If the parts to fix it were not available that would be a different story but they are available and fixing it reduces my liability in this litigious society of ours.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What did we do in the old days with no proportioning valves and no ABS systems?
Apparently we all died. That's why the government had to step in so we can now all safety ourselves to death. One little bruise and it's instant death or that's the way that some people act. It's ironic that the same government that implemented safety rules for everything is now in cahoots with people like Bill Gates who claim that there's too many people.
The endless ABS light would also irritate me
I thought they were all on from 1987 onward. Maybe it just seems that way?

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they were all on from 1987 onward. Maybe it just seems that way?
On both of mine the light comes for it's self check and goes out like it is supposed to.

I did get both rear wheels final bled and the wheels on. Tomorrow it gets a test drive.

I thank everyone for the suggestions and tips.