Bosch glow plugs???

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Bosch glow plugs for our IDI's? I have a new set of 8 and an just about done with my engine and wondered ??? I know Beru is the answer but this venture has drained the checking account and I would never use autolites, but hve used many Bosch in vw apps. they are not the duratherms I dont think, and they are made in japan, maybe some one can give me some burn test times.
thanks in advance. ;Sweet
Russ

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Bosch glow plugs in European engines, they are bar none the best for those applications, especially the Duraterm plugs which are basically impossible to burn out.

That said, when I first got my truck I though I would bypass the collective wisdom of the BERU plugs in these things.
BZZZZT WRONG -cuss
They lasted about a week before hard starting set in, they were shot within a month.

Replaced them with the Beru plugs, no more problem.

I was rather suprized to see that Bosch had not updated this application to a Duraterm plug, they have for most ( that design is an extended glow design , i'm just guessing that the plugs for these things don't fit anything modern enough to have an afterglow system, so they didn't bother upgrading ) Those Japanese Bosch plugs were total junk.

-------Robert

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I have 2 sets of used breu's in the toolbox maybe I will use those instead. I hate doing things twice. If these bosch plugs were made in germany I would use them without question.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with the 7.3L IDI glow plugs is they don't fit anything else but Ford applications. Even International engines don't use that GP system.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
um typ4 id give a second thought to putting used plugs that have been removed back in.....be pretty sad to ruin a $$$$ engine to save $100 if one of the GP's tips broke off for whatever reason....

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Um, can anybody tell me if there any markings I can look for without pulling the plugs to tell what I have? :confused: I'm not really sure what I bought, Motorcraft or Autolite, did it back when I first bought the truck. :oops:

pafixitman

Reaction score
Most of the markings will be after the tip, before the threads. I do not know of any way to tell them apart while they are in the truck.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
My BERU's are marked between the hex head and the threads. So it would be above the hole, but would be difficult to read.

And I am with Evergreen, I would never do that in a motor I had that much money in. I would wait till the checkbook recovered to complete the engine before I installed old ones.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
krawlr said:
Um, can anybody tell me if there any markings I can look for without pulling the plugs to tell what I have? :confused: I'm not really sure what I bought, Motorcraft or Autolite, did it back when I first bought the truck. :oops:

kinda goes back to same deal with typ4. might be cheap insurance to pull and replace...... boys dont get me wrong, i hate slapping plastic down as much as the next guy, specially when it turns out you didnt have to, but if there is anything i have learned from running a ranch for past couple years, the short term option may be an expensive one, but it wont be nearly as much as the long term expense if a piece of equipment gets scraped, a fence fails, structure falls, ...etc as a result of going with a quick fiz or hoping there isnt an issue.....when in reasonable doubt (do take into account cost/benefit ratio) ... take care of it

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to AZ and got the new ones, I should clarify that the used ones have about 2 months on them, The new ones were 9.99 each and they are marked below the threads with a black etch. Maybe save the bosch ones for emergencies. Thanks all, I wont be thinking like that again. The funny part is I would never cut that corner on a customers rig, just mine because I know the no start symptoms.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online