Bill & Jim hit the road ...... again

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ...

Avoid Warren County Diesel in Franklin, OH

Jim

What did they screw up this time? I've hear horror stories in the past from OTR drivers that had to call them in an emergency and then barely made it out of town because something wasn't done right.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Wow, that's some trailer! My son is drooling over that thing. Too bad we missed you guys passing through.

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
What didn't they screw up?

What did they screw up this time? I've hear horror stories in the past from OTR drivers that had to call them in an emergency and then barely made it out of town because something wasn't done right.

What didn't they screw up would be a shorter list

November 2010

'Complete cylinder head job' w/ unlimited mileage 12 month warranty

Turns out both heads were cracked between the valves,
clearly one should have never been rebuilt - the other
probably was borderline

Parts charged for on the heads were never installed

Met with Merit Royalty (owner) of Warren County Diesel on
March 21st at CRC Automotive in Carlisle, OH
where Ron (the owner) of CRC showed him the heads still dusted
with the cracks sitting on the bench .......

As of today - nothing heard back from Merit :dunno

That bill was $2400

(4) weeks ago I left my truck again for a used 'great engine'
Merit offered to be installed complete w/ 6 month unlimited parts/labor warranty out of a 1990 F350

Picked it up last Sunday when Bill & I got back

Runs like **** - smokes like a teenager

Taking it in Monday morning to Preble County Diesel Power
in Camden for a compression test - will go from there

If I am lucky - pinched exhaust valve gasket(s) or cracked
exhaust manifold(s)

I will know Monday

That bill was $3200

Bonus damage - apparent vaccum leak causing bad
brake fading & cracked seam on top of radiator

$5600 for one big headache :backoff

DO NOT
Go to Warren County Diesel in Franklin, OH

For complete engine machine shop service
in the Dayton area:

Ron at CRC Automotive
355 Industry Drive
Carlisle, OH
(937) 743-9826

His brother Charlie just across the drive has
a complete mechanic shop

Charlie did complete front brakes
(rotors - calipers - pads - wheel bearings)
and rear brakes (drums - shoes - wheel cylinders - inner & outer bearings
seals - rear pinion seal) along with radius arm bushings

Good mechanic - old school quality ;Sweet

Jim

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right for them. I had to tangle with a DD60 in a Freightliner they worked on several years ago when I still lived in Ohio. Supposedly they replaced all the liner o-rings in it. Truck barely made it to Akron before I got recommended as being able to handle the job on site. Radiator was 5 gallons low and oil was coming out of the dipstick tube. Ended up being they had torn the o-rings on 4 of the cylinders allowing it dump coolant into the oil. Not sure how that one finally ended since the driver was talking about suing them. I know it took me two days to redo all their work while sitting in a parking lot. Not one of my most enjoyable repair jobs.

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Emergency vehicles parked out front

Sounds about right for them. I had to tangle with a DD60 in a Freightliner they worked on several years ago when I still lived in Ohio. Supposedly they replaced all the liner o-rings in it. Truck barely made it to Akron before I got recommended as being able to handle the job on site. Radiator was 5 gallons low and oil was coming out of the dipstick tube. Ended up being they had torn the o-rings on 4 of the cylinders allowing it dump coolant into the oil. Not sure how that one finally ended since the driver was talking about suing them. I know it took me two days to redo all their work while sitting in a parking lot. Not one of my most enjoyable repair jobs.

You would think ...

They service Estes fuel delivery vehicles
They service ambulances EMT vehicles

Surely they would know what they are doing

I think they just don't give a damn cookoo

Jim

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think ...

Jim

The names there are the key. I know a few shops down here that I wouldn't trust to change the oil in my truck but they have a couple fleet accounts that I have never heard speak of any problems. Most shops with fleet accounts keep their best people on the fleet work and leave the loober-goobers to do everything else.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You would think ...

Jim
You've got to remember most fleet service work is only preventive maintanence . Most fleets don't keep things around long enough to actually ever need any real work and ambulance services keep them around an even shorter period of time, in many places, by local regulation they can't use rigs over X years old regardless of how few miles on them.
Hey, I took care of a fleet of school buses with IDIs in them when they came out and to be perfectly honest, I've learned more about these engines since I bought this pickup than when I had 60 some odd of the things to take care of, because when purchaesed new and kept on a fleet service program, they never break down. All we had to do was general service on the things,and repair body panels and they would be taken off teh road by regulation before they ever needed any major work and resold as church buses or somewhere in Mexico where they'd get another 25 years out of them until the frames self destruct from the roads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online