Best resources for rebuilding one of these engines?

MountainMan300

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am purchasing a complete 7.3 IDI that needs rebuilt. My plan is to give it a full rebuild, and throw a Banks turbo on it. This will be the firs time I've ever rebuilt an engine.

I purchased a shop manual on eBay, are there any other good resources or videos for learning how to rebuild one of these?

Also, are there any websites or parts sources that have a good selection of IDI engine parts?

CalIDI

Reaction score
R&D IDI performance, Classic Diesel Designs, Russ Repair, are three reputable shops for IDI parts. They can get pricey, but you get what you pay for. I'm in the same boat as you, gonna rebuild one eventually.

Ive also heard good things about Moose Diesel and Conestoga Diesel.

Mel (Agnem) from Moose Diesel put together some great stuff in the tech section.

Wes from CDD (Classic Diesel Designs) is on this forum as well as Russ, as Typ4.

R&D IDI and CDD have some nice looking turbo kits.

I'm sure others will chime in soon about these guys.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ive also heard good things about Moose Diesel and Conestoga Diesel.
They're the same business. The name changed when it moved to South Carolina (?).
Those are definitely the guys to go to for fuel system parts and turbos. At one time, I think Wes was talking about offering engine rebuild kits, but I don't know if he ever got that off the ground. Except for the fuel parts and turbos, I order my parts online form places like Summit Racing, Jeg's, and even Ebay to name a few.
When it comes time for the actual work, tear down and reassembly, you may want to start a dedicated thread for advice from people who've rebuilt some of these engines in the past. For instance, I would highly recommend doing the 6.9 cooling mod and removing/replacing the two oil galley plugs behind the cam gear. I would also recommend to think those over after you're ready to start the work.

flatwoods

Reaction score
Use the link in the last post for some pdf service manuals.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to buy rebuild kits from Northern Auto Parts for non-mainstream engines, of which the IDI qualifies. I have probably bought a few dozen rebuild kits from them over the past two decades, and always had great service and the correct parts the first time.

https://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=424

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online