Best electric fuel pump

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1990 f-250 7.3 idi and I am going to start running a 50/50 blend wmo. Depending on supply and diesel cost, I may run more WMO or WATF in the future.

I was planning on replacing the mechanical fuel pump with a electric one mounted on the frame. I was set on the Duralift facet but it looks like it does not like the thicker blended fuel. Seems like alot of people have issue with the holley brand. Vegpower sells a walbro frb-5. I have searched many forums and it seems like there are always issues.

I like the price and the glass on the duralift.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Check out turbowerx scavenger pumps. They are more than adequate and would not complain pumping straight cold motor oil even.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wmoguy,
Does that pump like to push fuel, or pull it?
Some of the posts I've read about electric pumps it seems either/or. I've been thinking about electric pump for a while just haven't done it.

wmoguy

Reaction score

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats kinda what I was hoping for, if I did this in time to come I want to mount under the hood. For a little extra heat when it gets cold.

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That pump is pricey. I guess you would only have to buy it once VS. the other seem to go out often. I didn't see a psi rating, just the GPH.

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contacted turbowerx. Its up to 50psi. I may do a dual fuel set up and put this on the rear and a duralift on the front tank.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Airtex. Holley and carter pumps have not been enough for my engine if it gets cooler out or the mix gets much more than 50/50. The second two cost around 100 a piece so that price does not seem to bad if it works.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Contacted turbowerx. Its up to 50psi. I may do a dual fuel set up and put this on the rear and a duralift on the front tank.

Geez talk about pricey!

Better regulate that pump down, 50psi or anywhere near that to our injection pumps and you'll be eating ip's for lunch.

mtran

I`ll improve my Eng
Reaction score
mechanical fuel pump will overlive every electric one,no restriction,no ampere,
one say no problemo.
Old mechanical fuel pump has fiber valve which is better than rubber today`s.
Worst scenario-broken membrane,no harm WMO go to oil.

brettader

Reaction score
Does anyone else have input on this topic? I've spent two days reading forums and researching electric pumps and have narrowed it down to an Airtex or Walbro, as it seems the majority of people have had the most success with these. A rep at Airtex recommended against using their pumps with WVO, while someone at Walbro said WVO was fine and wouldn't void their warranty (which is only 90 days).

Assuming it's not possible for me to spend the $350+ to buy an Airdog, Raptor, or other high end WVO compatible pump, can anyone with experience with cheaper pumps chime in? If I can get 25,000 - 30,000 miles out of a $60 Airtex pump that is easy to find and replace, I'd gladly go that route, since one common theme with pretty much all these pumps is that they will fail at some point.

In addition, if anyone could weigh in on what the ideal PSI and GPM/GPH would be for an electric lift pump replacement for an '89 Ford E-250 7.3L IDI. I've gotten the impression the best pressure and flow rates vary, and there seems to be a mixed consensus on whether or not too much pressure or too high a flow rate can prematurely damage the injection pump.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting the duralift facet from genlightning. I installed it under the hood on it's side. It's running 7psi without any pressure regulator. I got power from the factory fuel heater I removed.