Battery Issue

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So for about a few months now I have noticed a little bit different starting cranking. With a new starter it has struggled at times. Starter was bad so it got replaced. Had been working since 2009 so it give its all.
Now I go out to use rig today and I get nothing. No solenoid rattle but everything else works. Multi meterd tied together batteries and get 10.8 volts.. Not a good sign so on goes the charger. Two hours later it starts fine. Checked batteries with charger off and see 14.8. Kill engine and you can watch the drop in volts. So disconnected batteries from the system and each other. Drivers side is 12.87. Passenger side is 12.60 and dropping. About ten minutes later it showed 10.57. Sadly I did not punch out date codes but I do run a quality Interstate from the local factory distribution place here. Plan is to disconnect the ground and drive to shop for another battery. Hope they have my record of purchase but if not no big deal. Will probably purchase one when I know I should buy two when they are connected in series like this. You bet I will watch the older battery by disconnecting them from each other and the system to see if it drops charge compared to the new battery. Just another day in the idi battery life here...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are actually connected in parallel on a 12V system Gary but that's neither here nor there.

If the other battery is good, and you watch them close, you can get away with buying one battery. Key is watching them close and checking them. If you don't do the PM then you are better off replacing both because you will mess up. We all do things we probably wouldn't recommend to others from time-to-time. So long as the consequences are known, I have no issues.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well.... I ended up replacing BOTH OF THEM.....:rolleyes: The factory store I purchase from tested the other "good" battery.. It failed on the specific gravity test so there was no correct thing to do but change both. They even did the change out for me right there. The guy doing it had worked there for 12 years....:angel: But did not know how to use a hand tool. Really amazes me the lack of hand tool knowledge and ability to know the tricks and better ways of doing a simple battery change out. He almost tipped the batteries on end to get them out of the truck trays. I even offered to let him use my battery strap that clamps to the lugs so you can lift straight up to remove them. And not one of the 4 terminal clamps are down fully on the posts. You know I have already "fixed that". Nothing worse than a clamp not making FULL post contact either.
Thats first start with a new set of batteries and the new starter last week sure was ruff on my key fingers. I couldn't let go of the ignition switch fast enough to stop the starter over running on the ring gear......:angel::hail:D I'm a happy starter again...
Al... My plan all along was to watch closely the old battery by separating them. Even with 530 lbs of cranking compression this engine fires up easily on one battery every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online