Batt light stays on

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
The batt light stays on in my truck now. I've got it tied to the wires that go to the top of the alt that are in that black clip. What are them wires? Also the volt gauge is slowly going down.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck did that a while back it was the alternator goin bad put new alternator on it and no batt light and volt gage went way up

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went through this last week myself. Same as stated above except I also had 1 bad battery. I took the alt to Advance and had them check it and it wasn't putting out anything!! Cool thing was everything was free since I orig bought it at Advance. Crappy thing was the batt was only 2 years old and the alt was only 1 year old; this truck only gets driven about 5,000 miles a year. (If that!!)

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
ive currently got the same problem. except i've got a tester, and the batts passed, and the charging system passes. i pushed the wires in the black connector harder, and i havnt had the light come on in over 3 months.

sassyrel

Reaction score
the connector on the back of the old series of alts is a known problem----and you can buy short repair pieces-----

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another good source for those pigtails is LMC Truck. That is where I got a new pigtail for the volt reg. I'm not sure if they have them for the alt but they seem to have everything so it's worth a try.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Ok here's the story

I took the old alt to Oreilly auto parts, had them test came back good. Put the alt back on the truck with my new homemade connector. About 2miles the light came on again. Took it back off went to autozone, had them test, it it failed with flying colors. Got new alt, no problems.