Basic upgrades

sagebel

Reaction score
I have a friend with an 01' Cummins, and he would like to start upgrading it. What are the best ways to start. I am assuming that it is like everything else: Guages, exhuast, intake. I guess my question is which manufacturers?

HEAD HUNTER

Designated Decoy
Reaction score
I have Isspro guages, Rip Rook exhaust, and an AFE mega cannon. I am on my 2nd pyro, I dont know why the first one took a crap, but it did. Rips exhaust is high rate, and I am pleased with the AFE, it does what it is susposed to do.

B

Big K

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Gauges first. Fuel pressure is VERY inportant in that truck. Autometer here, but would also consider other flavors depending on personal preference. Gottem from Rip.

Exhaust from Rip.

Intake is Scotty II now, but could just as well be AFE Mega Cannon. I prefer oiled fiber element filtration. Also from Rip.

Detecting a pattern here? ;p RIP

Auto or Std, it will probably live with an Edge EZ box, or equivalent, depending on driving habits. Any more power upgrades, and he will need to throw down for a clutch/auto tranny upgrade.

Welcome to the forums. :D

RAF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gauges first...as the other posts mentioned.
Happy with the AFE and Rip's exhaust here too.
On the box, I would spend a little extra and get the Comp over the EZ. It can be hooked up as an EZ until clutch/trans upgrades are done. If you decide on more power later,the pump wire is there to be hooked up.

B

Big K

Originally posted by RAF
Gauges first...as the other posts mentioned.
Happy with the AFE and Rip's exhaust here too.
On the box, I would spend a little extra and get the Comp over the EZ. It can be hooked up as an EZ until clutch/trans upgrades are done. If you decide on more power later,the pump wire is there to be hooked up.

This is a good call. Added benefit of a defuel setting, and ability to turn off altogether. Not much price difference, all things considered.

CMNS PWR

Reaction score
As far as gauges, what else besides the basics would be cool to monitor? I have egt, boost, fp, trans, rear diff ( to be installed). I would think pre/post fp and egt can easily be done with one gauge, two sending units and a switch for each. I have a "new" custom console on the way with pleny of room for things to keep my eyes off the road ;)

Sir Smokesalot

Reaction score
or you could be like me and buy everything about 3 or 4 times. Support your local suppliers. Rip is da man.

Let's see, I am on my: (over and above what the truck originally came with)

3rd set of injectors
2nd air intake
3rd fueling box
3rd turbo
2nd boost gauge
2nd fuel line modification

and don't forget about 5K worth of tranny/TC upgrades.

and this all on a 2001.5 truck with 45K miles on it. Get the picture?

Rip Rook

Reaction score
Originally posted by Sir Smokesalot
or you could be like me and buy everything about 3 or 4 times. Support your local suppliers. Rip is da man.

Let's see, I am on my: (over and above what the truck originally came with)

3rd set of injectors
2nd air intake
3rd fueling box
3rd turbo
2nd boost gauge
2nd fuel line modification

and don't forget about 5K worth of tranny/TC upgrades.

and this all on a 2001.5 truck with 45K miles on it. Get the picture?

LMAO, I gotta love this guy.Sir Smokey, I wish we'd have met sooner :) I push pretty hard these days when a guy wants to buy an EZ, just get the comp.C-note difference & imo the in cab adjustability is worth it. Seems EZ's last 6 months or less & they'r e trading up :) "hey, I told ya" There are a lot of guys that have the self control & just stick with an EZ.Then are are a few more that wish they'd have just skipped that "step"......

sagebel

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. The truck is an auto and he is a vet. He does almost 2500 miles a month. As far as air filters, What is the best flowing paper element? As far as guages, fuel pressure was mentioned, does he need this or is it more for big HP. I think he just wants to open it up a let it breathe for now.

B

Big K

Originally posted by sagebel
Thanks for all the replies. The truck is an auto and he is a vet. He does almost 2500 miles a month. As far as air filters, What is the best flowing paper element? As far as guages, fuel pressure was mentioned, does he need this or is it more for big HP. I think he just wants to open it up a let it breathe for now.

Paper element - BHAF, otherwise known as the big honkin air filter.

Gauges - fuel pressure is ESSENTIAL in that truck.

Read more, and understand. Or call Rip.......

Venom

Testing Some Crap Out
Reaction score
You might also try some of the various sites classifieds. There are always good deals to be had. I bought injectors and my comp off classifieds and probably saved a couple hundred bucks.
Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online