Banks turbo on 7.3

briankk

Reaction score
I bought this truck a few weeks ago. It was stored for several years with various problems. Now I'm down to fixing the leaky fuel return system on the intake manifold.
Near as I can tell, I have to remove the Banks turbo manifold to get the fuel manifold off, so I can replace all those o-rings on the injectors. On my 6.9, w/o Banks, this would be trivial, but on the 7.3, looks like I have to remove the Banks manifold from the stock manifold first.
How to do this? Banks does not return calls or respond to email, and I don't have/can't buy a manual for this thing. Hoping some one here knows the procedure to get the thing off of there so I can proceed. What, specifically, do I have to unbolt, and in what order? Hate to just start unbolting from the top down and hope for the best..

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you referring to the exhaust manifold or intake manifold?

what gen banks system do you have? some pictures would help also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My guess is you have the banks turbo named the sidewinder and its wastegated so. If this is so, you just use a 5/16 socket to remove the air filter from the aluminum curved piece near the back of the engine. Then lift off the filter. If you need more room just remove the aluminum elbow that has the CDR valve on the side. That line runs to the front of the engine so its easy to remove too. Now everything will be clear. Please clean EVERYTHING. Otherwise any dirt getting into the injectors will ruin them.

briankk

Reaction score
you referring to the exhaust manifold or intake manifold?

what gen banks system do you have? some pictures would help also.

Intake manifold. Consists of 12"x14" cast aluminum box containing an K&N air filter. I think it's 1st gen w/o wastegate.

briankk

Reaction score
My guess is you have the banks turbo named the sidewinder and its wastegated so. If this is so, you just use a 5/16 socket to remove the air filter from the aluminum curved piece near the back of the engine. Then lift off the filter. If you need more room just remove the aluminum elbow that has the CDR valve on the side. That line runs to the front of the engine so its easy to remove too. Now everything will be clear. Please clean EVERYTHING. Otherwise any dirt getting into the injectors will ruin them.

Nope, not a Sidewinder, the earlier version with no wastgate, lives ain a big cast alum. box. Not really a turbo in the same since that the Powerstroke is a turbo, but in the since that the airplane guys would call turbo compensation.. Not intended to produce more power all the time, but to prevent bogging on hills..
As to the injectors, when I finally get to 'em I intend to have 'em pop checked/replaced before reinstalling, too hard to do it twice!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not really familiar with the early banks but that air box should come out easy.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's been a LONG time since I've messed with one of these, but I believe that you unbolt the lid of the air cleaner, then you should have a bolt or two inside by the air filter, lastly, you would have to unhook it from the turbo since I believe that this is one of those that combined the air cleaner and the turbo "hat". I hope this helps some. If the CRD valve is attached to the air cleaner, you would have to disconnect it either from the box itself or from the hose that goes to it.

briankk

Reaction score
It's been a LONG time since I've messed with one of these, but I believe that you unbolt the lid of the air cleaner, then you should have a bolt or two inside by the air filter, lastly, you would have to unhook it from the turbo since I believe that this is one of those that combined the air cleaner and the turbo "hat". I hope this helps some. If the CRD valve is attached to the air cleaner, you would have to disconnect it either from the box itself or from the hose that goes to it.

Ah yes, getting someplace now..
I've got the roof off the thing and the filter out, the hose off from the inlet, and also from the CRD valve. Looking at whats going on, there are a couple of nuts in the box that take a 9/16 socket, removal trivial, but then, underneath are a couple more, one moderately difficult, one a real PITA. It looks like the hat is 2 piece, the box and filter bit bolted to the turbo discharge and intake manifold bit by those 4 studs. If so, releasing the 4 studs should allow me to get the box off without having to fool with the turbo itself, hopefully giving access to the fuel manifold, most of which is buried under it now..
Any of that sound familiar?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you don't have to take the turbo off.

I know there must be some 1st Gen banks guys here.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't remember the studs for sure, but I'd bet that if you remove them and replace them with some 3/8" bolts (I think) you would have an easier time reinstalling or removing in the future. I'm guessing that it's almost impossible to remove it with the studs in place. I could be wrong on that. After you get the airbox off, then you shouldn't have to remove any of the turbo mounting hardware. It may be tricky to get to one or two of the rear injectors, but it can be done. I have the same style of turbo, but will NOT be using any of the Banks air inlet pieces when I install it after finishing the overhaul of my engine. Mine is an early Banks, nonwastegated turbo that has been upgraded by Typ4.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone here is pretty much right, you don't have to take the actual turbo off, just the ******** banks air intake and filter housing. I'm going through the misfortune of removing all of the banks crap from mine to do lifters.....not positive any of it is going back on. After working on that pos, I hope Gale Banks spends eternity in a very hot place, that is the worst designed and laid out pile of chit I've ever worked on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron

Members online