Bad vac. pump or just a leak?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
My sister and her husband have picked up a 91 F-250 with a 7.3 and ATS turbo. I asked her how they were liking it and she mentioned that in order for the brakes to work properly, they have to rev the motor up. I haven't been able to get an in-depth look at this truck yet so I dont have a real good clue about anything on it. I will be doing the return lines for them soon, hopefully before they kill the starter and batteries. Would low vacumn be a sign of the pumps imminent demise or more likely it's just a leak somewhere. I figured a vacumn pump would just die, not slowly wither away. I know the pump on my old 6.9 went from working perfectly to doing nothing in a matter of seconds.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
First and cheapest thing to do is check the belt tension, second put a vacuum guage in line and determine if it is the pump. Pump should be pulling between 28 to 30 lbs.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
First and cheapest thing to do is check the belt tension, second put a vacuum guage in line and determine if it is the pump. Pump should be pulling between 28 to 30 lbs.

What he said, except it should pull 28-30 inches. If you could pull 30 pounds, you would have a VERY special pump.