bad cdr valve?

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i **** off the cdr valve becasue i had standing oil in my intake tube that goes to the turbo i cleaned it and i am able to blow in either side and feel it out the other side does it sound like its bad? 93 f350 cclb 7.3idi turbo all factory

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a procedure using a monometer I think that will show you if your cdr is bad. Others will chime in and have a link on how check to see if your cdr is bad.
How many miles are on your engine, and last I checked fordpartsgiant.com has the cheapest price for a cdr valve for $50

Black dawg

Reaction score
valve is normally open...both ways. I have yet to have one of these engines that didnt have oil in the intake.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Forgot it only closes under higher vacuum.
And yes, all I've seen have oil in the intake.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive spent 30 min searching this forum.....
now i have to look like a moron.

what exactly is the CDR valve?
is this the PCV looking contraption on the drive side valve cover?
What does CDR stand for?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep.

Crankcase Depression Regulator.

Behind intake if n/a, on valve cover if factory turbo. Bye-bye on mine LOL

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the tuna can on the valve cover for factory turbo engines. On NA engines it is on the back of the intake under the air filter. CDR= crankcase depression regulator. If you ask a Ford dealer for one they wont know what you are talking about. I think the parts book calls it an adapter housing. It is like a pcv and routs blowby back into the intake, along with the oil in the blowby. If there is too much restriction in the air filter I believe it will close to prevent a runaway with the engine running on crankcase oil. Some folks run a RDT (road draft tube) and run blowby to the atmosphere. I rigged up a catch can before the CDR to try and intercept some of the oil.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i first got my truck running (stock 94 w/ ATS) this thing spit oil all over my newly painted intake and polished turbo housing.
$2.95 in tubing, 5 minutes of routing, i get people in PT cruisers telling me i have a muffler leak at idle.
you should see their faces when i explain to them i dont have a muffler.

she does smoke a bit at idle.

OR...
"HAY MAN!!!! YOUR TRUCKS ON FIRE!!!"

BUT.... no oil on the intake

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you ask a Ford dealer for one they wont know what you are talking about.

it seems like all the ford parts guys (around here atleast) have no clue WTH you are talking about, when you explain that its an IDI.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my cdr from my local international dealer(there pretty knowledgeable about the old idi's), I think it was $120 originally but after some haggling he let it go for $70. My original engine had so much blow by through the intake would have a pool of oil in it every time I pulled it. My replacement engine with 255,000 miles, still has yet to show any oil in the intake, most likely from only driving it 200 miles so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin