Backing up a hill loaded in 4 low

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a 26-28 ft travel trailer or 5th wheel in the next couple months. I'm guessing that the trailer will weight between 6000-8000 lbs. loaded. I have a place to park it, but it will involve backing it up a narrow driveway that is uphill. It is maybe 400 ft long and not super steep, but it will definately give the transmission a workout (C6). Is it o.k. to put the transfer case in 4 Low, but not lock the hubs for that distance, or will I cause damage to the hubs?

Thanks for any advice,

Archie Taylor

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
wont hurt it a bit. i pop mine in 4 low but don't lock the fronts in when i back my trailer up since its much easier on my clutch. when it had the c6 i did the same.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x3 on what they said. I do it all the time when maneuvering in close quarters; no trouble whatsoever with my hubs or transfer case ;Sweet just don't hammer down while doing it!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The crew cab I have now ate a C6 tranny and torque converter doing just that. The previous owner was moving his travel trailer up a hilly driveway in 2 high. It the C6 got very hot and ate itself and the TC. When I bought it from him, I watched the tranny temps like a hawk and always backed a trailer in 4 low. I'm swapping a ZF5 in there now.

Heath

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know why you can't lock the hubs, you could almost idle backing up, you'd have more traction and control. I always used 4WD backing my 30 ft 5er.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Don't know why you can't lock the hubs, you could almost idle backing up, you'd have more traction and control. I always used 4WD backing my 30 ft 5er.

Because turning on dry pavement with a load on is gonna put a bunch of stress on the drive train and make it harder to turn

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online