baby ford diesel

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow BJ! You should snatch that thing up. I remember those, and they are in high demand and worth every penny around here. Especially for a rust free one. I had an 83' but sadly, it wasn't a diesel. Ranger's are excellent little trucks. Tough as nails and very torquey. That particular year would not have a turbo, but that could be remedied I imagine.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
that truck would be kinda a cool little commuter. If it was 4x4 it would be awesome, throw a turbo, pyro, boost gauge, turn up the fuel and your set to go ;Sweet

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had one around here that was an extended cab that was up for $800. It was sold before I called the guy. It was not in nearly as nice of shape, but still, for $800.

I know a guy that had one with 500,000 miles on it, and the damned thing ran like a top when he sold it.

mR

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My uncle had one, can't remember what year. It was completely rusted out but the mechanical side was sound. He abused it, he had an I/O Stamas and would use that truck to pull the boat, not very far mind you but the boat ramp was STEEP and that boat was heavy. He just got frustrated with the cost of parts and that the thing kept frying glow plugs at $70 each.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My uncle had one, can't remember what year. It was completely rusted out but the mechanical side was sound. He abused it, he had an I/O Stamas and would use that truck to pull the boat, not very far mind you but the boat ramp was STEEP and that boat was heavy. He just got frustrated with the cost of parts and that the thing kept frying glow plugs at $70 each.

Ah, had to love pre internet parts house days. That;s why I got rid of my old diesel rabbit was over a set of $80 each glow plugs at the local parts stores, ones that now days I could buy for $13 each all day long on the internet cookoo:backoff

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah if Uncle Mike had the internet back in the day I bet he would never have let that thing go plus folks like you all could have set him up with manual glow plugs so that it wouldn't keep happening.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yeah if Uncle Mike had the internet back in the day I bet he would never have let that thing go plus folks like you all could have set him up with manual glow plugs so that it wouldn't keep happening.

It used to be the guy who owned the Napa in this berg was the second filthy richest person in the county from gouging folks on prices WAY over napa's standard prices for years because he was the only game in town, but he saw the writing on the walls when the internet started kicking into his profits and he sold the place finally and they're running mostly list now, but some is still list plus. If it weren't for the internet parts houses, it would be financially impossible for those of us in backwater places to keep these old , odd things going

gandalf

Reaction score
Here's another one which was up for sale recently. It seems a bit overpriced, though the body should be in good shape if it's lived it's whole life in Pascadero.

Diesel Ranger

Maybe someone here will want to snap this one up. I don't even know whether its still on the market.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
ad is gone.Nuts.But if it was a diesel ranger....A buddy has the turbo charged version.I wish I could buy it.manual tranny,straight pipe made out of a deep water fording stack for a Hmmvee(now lake pipe).Has a nice faint whistle.Heck,I would love to find just an engine and auto trans combo for my postal jeep.Amazing the mid 80s diesel ranger got 35MPG when a 4 banger gasser TODAY only get 26MPG.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I had a Mazda B2200 non turbo once bought it with a batch of cars in 1989,I didn't want it but it came with the package.I parked it out back for a year,til my son in law borrowed it for a few days.He said it was great & cheap to run so I threw some plats on it and drove it for 3 years.It had over 200k on it when I got it-I figured I had $300 in it.After 3 years and 1 altinator the frame was badly rusted (almost in half)-I sold it for $350 .I should have plated it and run it some more. The guy used the engine on a portable air compressor. It is still running great.The thing i remembered most about the engine is it was stocky and had a real heavy wide cylinder head-it looked like an industrial engine. INDESTRUCTABLE!!