b2200 diesel transmission

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do any of you know if a mazda 2200 diesel will fit a ford 2.3l gas transmission?? or any other trans?:sly thanks Jason ;Sweet

It's a 1984

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year? If its any relation to rangers of the early to mid 80s, the detachable bell housing should allow it to be bolted onto most other engines in gas powered trucks (assuming it did NOT use a factory adaptor plate like the ranger 2.2 diesels....). I think most of the transmissions from that era were made as one version or another of the mitubishi family and have a lot of similar DNA.

If I'm right, the only internal difference might be the gear spread being closer together in the diesel tranny.

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FRom what I have learned from the fellows over at this mazda diesel site.. here
http://north76.proboards.com/index.cgi
it seems like the bell housing is unique to the perkins diesels and you need a bell housing that came stock with that motor and then you can use rear portion of a first gen rx-7 tranny bolted to that bell housing and also swap the input shafts to make it work. So my guess even though I have never seen a 2.3 gas trans up close is NO it will not bolt up(at least not without a diesel bell housing).
And the trans that came stock with that motor in the mazdas was notoriously pathetic to those few who own them. My bro's 83 b2200 has 330k + on it and the perkins is still purring but I think hes up to 4 trans rebuilds , that poor little truck has towed some pretty good loads over the years. ;Sweet
nate

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 86' Ranger with a 2.3L gas had a ZF under it.