Axle/differential questions

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search yielded no answers to my questions so here I go.

First, what axles do I have? Specifically rear (I know I have a Dana 60 up front, or at least I better). The tag on the door says C5 axle code. As far as I know its original, 1 ton, manufactured 1/94. Its 4.10 and non limited slip (found out by jacking the tires off the ground and turning wheels).

Second, I want to change the fluid. The rear diff cover is leaking, or that may be just oil from the engine that has blown back and accumulated there, I'm leaking about a gallon between oil changes. I thought I'd take the cover off and re-seal it... should I buy a cork gasket or something from the auto parts store or maybe use RTV gray or black? What's the capacity and recommended weight?

While I'm at it I'll probably do the front diff too, is anything significantly different about it? How would I go about finding if it is limited slip or not?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a chart in the FAQ section, says yours is a 6240 weight rating sterling 410.

Just remove the covers and clean up the surfaces with lacquer thinner or brakleen and use gray RTV to seal it up. You can see if the front is LS when the cover is off.