ats turbo , pushing oil and smokes bad on deccel

red66chev

Reaction score
installed ats non waste gated kit, was fine for 30 miles of straight hyway. I down shifted getting off hyway , then it started smoking grey and would not stop till it sat over nite, then it went another 25 miles before I down shifted and it did it again , it continues to smoke badly untill it sits for a while, oil leaking from exhaust. the first time it burned a quart in 10 miles the second a quart in about the same. i say ten miles becqause thats when it stated smoking. any ideas? be sides turbo seal, why only when i down shift.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know mine is leaking oil in because of a bad cdr so you might want to check that it could be one of your problems with the oil

red66chev

Reaction score
i forgot to add its a 7.3 idi with a ats kit, what is a cdr? the depressoin valve? it not on the engine at all, the hole where it was got caped and the oil drain for the turbo goes into the valley pan, and the drviers valve cover has a vent line to the new air filter box to pull vacum on the engine. i just dont get why it continues to smoke once it starts, and it bad my box is splattered with oil.

red66chev

Reaction score
Update, after another 75 miles, "burned" another 2 quarts of oil , most of it doesn't burn though it just ends up spraying everywhere. Now it smokes almost constantly, but still way worse on deccel.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i forgot to add its a 7.3 idi with a ats kit, what is a cdr? the depressoin valve? it not on the engine at all, the hole where it was got caped and the oil drain for the turbo goes into the valley pan, and the drviers valve cover has a vent line to the new air filter box to pull vacum on the engine. i just dont get why it continues to smoke once it starts, and it bad my box is splattered with oil.

First of all, what year is the truck? Terribly hard to diagnose something you have no idea of what it is.

A CDR is Crankcase depression relief valve as seen below.

If your returning the turbo oil into the valley pan, the pan has a deflector baffle on the underside with very small drain holes in it, when you add a turbo it is suggested to punch a couple of holes in it where the CDR hole is before capping that hole off, at least 2-3 1/4" holes to drain the oil.

The CDR should be in the valve cover and the vent line hooked to it. More than likely your vent line is sucking oil from there, shifting down makes the engine rev up, and there is a lot of oil splashing around under the valve cover. That valve cover should have a baffle under it where the vent/cdr line comes out of it so oil cannot be sucked up directly.

Attachments

• IDI CDR.jpg
    IDI CDR.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DVC01411.JPG
    DVC01411.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

red66chev

Reaction score
its a 89 f250, I didn't punch and holes in the baffle , is it possible its backing up the drain tube and pushing out the seal? the vent tube protrudes into the valve cover 3/4" and has a small hole about 1/4" , I removed the airfilter and looked inside the air box where the vent line enters is "wet" but not sprayed with oil like it would be. it doesn't use the factory cdr. theres a pcv in the vent line. I dissconnected it from the valve cover and ran it with no difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online