Are 6.9/7.3 injector lines interchangeable?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Basically, if you are not blowing any black smoke at full throttle, you can turn it up a little bit. You don't want to be blowing lots of black smoke, that's when you are going to damage the engine. Being conservative is the key. Some people like too much of a good thing, and turn it up too much.

I'm leaving the fuel where it is for now. Next I'm working on the timing, after driving it a bit more today it seems almost there, then I have to transfer all my tools and toolbox to the '90...a monumental task in itself! If it's a lot slower with a ton of crap loaded in back then I'll get a pyro and do it right.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
One more thing... does anyone know what the holy heck is rattling under this truck when it's idling in gear? My friend's '91 used to do it too, he thought it was the dash, :dunno but I can't find it and it's going to drive me insane

Hey dieselgiant does your truck have factory speakers in the back? Did they have it as an option? I have nothing back there, I can make my own holes but just wondering if there were int panels with them already. Anyone know?

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the best article that tells you how to adjust the pump.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Injection pump adjustment article.htm

Basically, if you are not blowing any black smoke at full throttle, you can turn it up a little bit. You don't want to be blowing lots of black smoke, that's when you are going to damage the engine. Being conservative is the key. Some people like too much of a good thing, and turn it up too much.

Not to argue, but my N/A 6.9 crew cab didn't blow black smoke at full throttle. But, it certainly would peg (1200+) the pyro hauling a modest load (1500lbs) on hills (not anything special). The fuel was only turned up a single flat. A pyro really should be on every diesel, in my opinion anyway.:dunno

Heath

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
One more thing... does anyone know what the holy heck is rattling under this truck when it's idling in gear? My friend's '91 used to do it too, he thought it was the dash, :dunno but I can't find it and it's going to drive me insane

Hey dieselgiant does your truck have factory speakers in the back? Did they have it as an option? I have nothing back there, I can make my own holes but just wondering if there were int panels with them already. Anyone know?

Yup, factory rear speakers. I still have them if you want them. As for the rattling, is it a vibration or a metal to metal, vibration. I'm did that because the A/C lines against the cab weren't tight. That will really rattle the cab, but only at Idle to 1100rpm then gone. I'd check there if it has A/C which I hope it does.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Yup, factory rear speakers. I still have them if you want them. As for the rattling, is it a vibration or a metal to metal, vibration. I'm did that because the A/C lines against the cab weren't tight. That will really rattle the cab, but only at Idle to 1100rpm then gone. I'd check there if it has A/C which I hope it does.

I plan on installing better speakers all around, so that's OK, I was just trying to figure out if I could find those interior side panels with holes already in them. I think it would be cleaner looking than just cutting into what I have.

It's not the A/C lines, it sounds metal-to-metal like a heat shield or something. That is the EXACT RPM though...It may be the obviously after-market exhaust...dunno. Right now I unfortunately have bigger problems. My old buddy the Sticking Metering Valve has returned! He tried to kill me several times today. I got off work as soon as I could and began dumping triple doses of DK into the tanks, and I filled the filter with 1/2DK-1/2Diesel, started it for a sec, then shut it off. Tomorrow if it's still sticking looks like I'm getting yet ANOTHER IP and taking this one in for a post-mortem...hey, it's just time and money, right? I'm starting to get the hang of this IP-swap thing.