anybody want to trade a PSD for an IDI?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as the title states.i got too much moneyin the truck to get rid of itbut the IDI has got to go!its too slow/underpowered.i cant turn the pump up as my EGTs already hit1200 degrees just trying to get up to 65 mph on the highway.i dont want to intercool it cuz it will still be underpowered for me.if i get on the highway doin 60MPH and need to slow down to 45-50 and then get back to 60 it takes all day.i cant pass on the highway cuz its to slow.

the motor is a jasper complete reman with turbo.has 100,000 miles on it.new injectors,IP,glowplugs,GP controller,GP relay,water pump,radiator.if anybody wants to come up here to myshop ill swap everything including the tranny for a PSD with a 5 speed.its also a rebuilt E4OD with 75,000 miles on itor just the engines and wiring.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cuz as this truck is my money maker it has to be reliable.i cant take chances with stuff like propane and water injection.

sassyrel

Reaction score
94--water injection is ok--and wont hurt anything--just cant get crazy like travis did---small amounts is the key,here--

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately i cant trust stuff like that.this truck has to beable run and go on a moments notice.or else id meeswith stuff like that

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*****SWONK******

You didn't really think you could get away with that here did you? cookoo

LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
*****SWONK******

LOL

no but i figured i give some of you IDI nuts a chance at gettin it cuz this truck is getting a PSD swap in the near future.im tired of the crappy fuel mileage and slowness.i can deal with crappy fuel mileage if it had the power i need,i can i can deal with the slowness if it got good fuel mileage.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me it isn't a matter of getting more motor for the truck. We are talking about an F-Superduty here. You get one car on the deck and one on the wheel lift, and the structure is overloaded regardless of the engine.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Agnem said:
*****SWONK******

LOL

It's about time you took a stand again!Man,Wondered if you was ever gonna swonk someone.....Ever since Travis jumped ship you have been soft on swonkings. :D

Yea well I got a case of carpal tunnel from all the swonking, and the doc told me to lay off for a while. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr_Roboto said:
To me it isn't a matter of getting more motor for the truck. We are talking about an F-Superduty here. You get one car on the deck and one on the wheel lift, and the structure is overloaded regardless of the engine.
If that is the standard for being overloaded, I was doing that daily.
seriously tho, not IC'ing a turbo'd IDI and hooking a slushbox to the butt, is having the IDI work with one hand tied behind its back. Do those things and see if you still feel that its gutless.
After working on PSD's for years and watching how much a PSD owner has to fork out for parts, its just mind boggling that they won't give a IDI the same chance with the $$$ before condemming it.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I agree - I think the automatic tranny isn't helping at all. I would also get rid of that before the engine.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
If that is the standard for being overloaded, I was doing that daily.
seriously tho, not IC'ing a turbo'd IDI and hooking a slushbox to the butt, is having the IDI work with one hand tied behind its back. Do those things and see if you still feel that its gutless.
After working on PSD's for years and watching how much a PSD owner has to fork out for parts, its just mind boggling that they won't give a IDI the same chance with the $$$ before condemming it.

Overloaded is all relative. There are 3/4 ton wreckers on the road here every day. But I've driven bigger rollbacks with more powerful engines than a PowerStroke, they are still slow when loaded (with just one vehicle).

My thought is just this - You take a heavier Light Duty tow truck, and try to give it Medium Duty power, then what breaks next?

The point about the transmission is a good one. I can't stand the E4OD/ 4R100 torque converters. When unlocked they slip like crazy, and when locked you don't get any torque multiplication.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
The powerstroke is still not a medium duty engine though. The cummins is closer, but still not quite.

I don't think he's talking about hauling more cars, just fighting his truck less when doing so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online