Anybody put a C6 pan w/drain?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most shops are going to want to run one of those flush machines on it and not even pull the pan. There can be a lot of metal dust and black stuff in the pan, it needs to be pulled and cleaned.

I agree also, I would pull the torque converter plug. Do you have a aux oil cooler in front of the radiator? If not, that would be more beneficial than a deeper pan on the trans.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Most shops are going to want to run one of those flush machines on it and not even pull the pan. There can be a lot of metal dust and black stuff in the pan, it needs to be pulled and cleaned.

I agree also, I would pull the torque converter plug. Do you have a aux oil cooler in front of the radiator? If not, that would be more beneficial than a deeper pan on the trans.

Yes, it has a good sized transmission cooler up front. Probably factory installed based on how it's mounted.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would I pay $40 when a deeper pan is $30? I'd have to take the pan somewhere to have it modified too. A deeper pan = more fluid = better. Like how people put the PSD oil filter with 1qt more oil capacity.
Well because not everyone has the option to put a $30 pan onto there transmissions.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I drill holes and put a fine thread bolt into transmissions pans for people all the time. I drill a hole big enough to put the fine thread nut halfway into the pan. Then TIG weld the nut into place. I charge $40 to do this. Find your self someone or a shop that is willing to do this and you are set. But a cheap $30 pan with a drain plug already in it is also a great option.
I just drill a 1/2” hole in the lowest point of the pan, set a 1/2 nf nut over the hole on the outside and braze it. Short bolt with copper washer serves as the plug. For the price though that deep pan is a deal. Just be sure it has the parts to drop the filter down too. C6 has only a screen so once you have a drain plug you really don’t need to drop the pan every time.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
If you can by all means drain your torque converter. Your going to find the C6 doesn't actually have much of a filter. Its just a fine screen. This is why I added a magnefine inline trans filter to mine.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally on the deeper pan you use the 4 wheel drive filter which is longer.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see on the pan description that it is 2 3/8 deep, how does that compare to stock?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I see on the pan description that it is 2 3/8 deep, how does that compare to stock?

About 1-1.5 inch deeper. I sorta measured it yesterday, not checking the stock pan but rather if the deeper pan would hang too low.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I ordered 3 gallons of Valvoline conventional Dex/Merc since Maxlife is "multi vehicle" including more modern fluids.

What I got specifically says not to use it in Type F or Mercon V, so it's probably better suited for an old C6. It was much cheaper too.

Also ordered a Motorcraft filter kit. I'm pretty sure it includes the pan gasket.

Still debating if I want to sink $30 into pan with a drain though.

You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score

Still debating if I want to sink $30 into pan with a drain though.

For me there would be no choice. I would happily spend the $30 for a drain plug. I would do that because I'd know that sometime in the future I'd be dropping that pan again, and it's SO much easier and less messy when the fluid is already out. I changed the fluid and filter in my E4OD while lying flat on my back in the driveway. The pan had no plug so I had to drain it as I went. The bolts were further out from one corner to the opposite, allowing much of the fluid to drain in a semi-controlled fashion. Still it was too messy. My truck now has a drain plug on the E4OD.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
For me there would be no choice. I would happily spend the $30 for a drain plug. I would do that because I'd know that sometime in the future I'd be dropping that pan again, and it's SO much easier and less messy when the fluid is already out. I changed the fluid and filter in my E4OD while lying flat on my back in the driveway. The pan had no plug so I had to drain it as I went. The bolts were further out from one corner to the opposite, allowing much of the fluid to drain in a semi-controlled fashion. Still it was too messy. My truck now has a drain plug on the E4OD.

Yeah. I'm thinking the same thing, and will probably order one today.

I just ordered one of those big 5 gallon open top drain pans to hopefully avoid a huge mess on the ground. I might lay out a cheap old tarp plus cardboard, just in case. I had $5 off for Advance auto plus I used a promo code, so $4 for a $10 pan.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Huh. One Ebay listing for a pan says that 2-3/8" is stock depth. Maybe it refers to the entire transmission sump depth, not just the pan?

I might pay a bit extra at Oreilly for the Mr Gasket pan that is advertised by the maker (Holley) as being stock depth. It comes with a pan gasket and hardware too. If I can use my $5 off on it (i have 2 for oreilly right now) then it's worth it to have a spare pan gasket.

They are special order though, so it might be 2 weeks before they get one. No shopping cost they said, so we will see.

Maybe my $14 in oil rebate gift cards will show up before then too, futher reducing the cost.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It took a while of bumping the starter with glow plug solenoid, fuel cutoff solenoid and Holley pump disabled to get the drain bolt accessible, but I got it draining.

The hole above the stud is where the bolt was.

Several quarts will probably be stuck in it since I can't really get the hole at the very bottom very easily without risking getting it where I can't get the bolt reinstalled. I doubt it's healthy for the starter to he bumped like that a couple dozen times.

It looks like about 4-5 quarts might have drained, at best. But I guess that's better than nothing drained.

I had to move an exhaust clamp to get the cover off, which is a bit damaged. It was missing a bolt and another was rounded off, so at least the transmission has probably been serviced at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online