Any IDI Van owners on here?

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Well, after a 4 yr ford IDI drought, I'm about to purchase a 1990 15-passenger E350.

Curious if there's any other Van owners on here, glad to be back!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yep, few and far-between.

Wishing you WAY better luck than I 've had, Brianedwardss.

Nice-looking 1990, BTW. Interior looks amazing. Had to be stored inside.

Spent much of my life in the early-era Es, and kind of miss them.

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice find Brianedwardss!

I spent years hunting and scored a 1985 with 64,000 verified miles on it. It sat for years and when it was
moved the C6 trans literally blew the back half off because of lack of lubrication. I put together a built up
E4OD with stand alone controller, rebuilt a BW 1356 and just recently finished a 4x4 conversion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X1dLxbJAvQ

You must be registered for see images attach

It's great getting out of your "captain's chair" and walking back between the seats, like a vessel rather than a vehicle! ha! The E-Series
are a real good use of footprint, I can lock up huge paddleboards INSIDE rather than chance leaving them on the roof rack!

Best regards,
George

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice find Brianedwardss!

I spent years hunting and scored a 1985 with 64,000 verified miles on it. It sat for years and when it was
moved the C6 trans literally blew the back half off because of lack of lubrication. I put together a built up
E4OD with stand alone controller, rebuilt a BW 1356 and just recently finished a 4x4 conversion:

It's great getting out of your "captain's chair" and walking back between the seats, like a vessel rather than a vehicle! ha! The E-Series
are a real good use of footprint, I can lock up huge paddleboards INSIDE rather than chance leaving them on the roof rack!

Best regards,
George

that rig is pretty damn sweet!
i cant wait to 4x my 98!!!

kb1jid

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1990 E250 coachman camper that I made into a 4x4 then I took out the gas 5.8 and rebuilt a 7.3 IDI an put that in. I also called Hypermax last week and 2 big boxes showed up here on yesterday

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I daily drive an '88 e250. 3.55, c6, DNE2 O/d and some other stuff.
You must be registered for see images

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice find Brianedwardss!

Best regards,
George

All kinds of bad assery there fer sure...thats badmofoazz

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jayro88 whats yer mileage in that thar beast

I am about 180-190K right now. I bought it with 125K on it. Been pretty solid so far. Installed an new IP/injectors along with some other mods. Purchased some bench seats so I could switch between a 11 passenger and one with a bed.....used it both ways. Trans cooler, gauges, epump, insulation etc.

I have a few more things to do and then gonna post a build thread. It's nothing fancy, but I have been updating over the past few years to make it what I want......a great family road trip vehicle that can tow a trailer and give me a bed to sleep in when camping out.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am about 180-190K right now. I bought it with 125K on it. Been pretty solid so far. Installed an new IP/injectors along with some other mods. Purchased some bench seats so I could switch between a 11 passenger and one with a bed.....used it both ways. Trans cooler, gauges, epump, insulation etc.

I have a few more things to do and then gonna post a build thread. It's nothing fancy, but I have been updating over the past few years to make it what I want......a great family road trip vehicle that can tow a trailer and give me a bed to sleep in when camping out.

Miles per gallon was what I was looking for

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miles per gallon was what I was looking for

Ooops.....

I get between 15-19mpg depending on all the variable. Hwy vs City, Winter vs Summer, 65mph vs 75mph etc

I am looking into an E4OD swap to replace the c6. Combined with my DNE2 I will end up with 8 gears (including double O/D) and a locking torque converter. I am thinking that it should push me over the 20mpg mark under the right conditions. Probably won't happen for a summer or 2 though since the c6/3.54's combo is working well how it is and I currently don't tow a lot. That could change and the E4OD setup with double O/D would mean that I could go to 4.10's (or even 4.56's) and still have lower hwy rpms than I have now.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice find Brianedwardss!

Best regards,
George

Do you have any more pics or a write up on your 4x4 conversion? I'm always interested in how people went about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk