Any Ideas for cool air inlet?

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
Last fall I aquired a used hypermax turbo and I made the install myself. I made the intake out of some pvc and bought a k&n type air filter and thats what ive been running. It works well, but now that I turned up my i.p. (was 4 flats) I made a run up the longest hill around and my egts went to 1100 but the thing I did not like is the temp gage went way up to the a in normal. So I figure that getting some cooler outide air would help keep the temps down. I inquired about the hypermax air cleaner mount to be able to use the factory air cleaner and air inlet hose, they want $165.00 for it! Has anyone made there own cool air inlet? any pics? My only other option is to ask if anyone has a hypermax air cleaner mount they would be willing to part with? Any info would be helpful!

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
This gets tons of attention. Do a search and you will find a lot of info.

Most guys fab some sort of ram air setup next to the radiator on the drivers side. This is what I have done and like it. I do need to make it more heat resistant though and put something around it to block engine bay heat!

Thad

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
You could use Aluminum dryer ducting. The shiny aluminum will resist the heat waves, and is also readily available at most hardware stores for cheap.

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
The air intake I made is an open element type and I need to be able to enclose the filter so I can attach any type of ducting. What can I use to enclose the filter? That seems to be the hard part.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your engine temp is going up that has nothing to do with your intake...

Sounds to me like you have some sort of blockage in your coolant passagers or a sticking thermostat or something.

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
I always thought it would be cool to have a tractor type filter that came out of the hood, with the metal cap sticking up about 3"

Just get an old tractor filter & filter case thing, make a mount, cut a 7 or 8" hole bolt it in.

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
The only time my temps went way up is when I had the pump turned up 4 flats, pulling a long steep grade. I turned down the pump 2 flats and now have reached only 800 egt's and my temp gage hasnt went up that high since. As far as my cooling system goes, I replaced the thermostat and the water pump. My coolant has been changed and my radiator looks clean inside. Im thinking that having the pump turned up 4 flats with having hot engine air being drawn in, that is not helping the egts any.