Another E4OD

shovelhead

Reaction score
Sorry for the long story!!! Bought a used 350 dually, reverse worked fine. almost no forward. down hill with high wind and it might move. Picked up a used trans at a scrap yard, flushed it out and new filter before the swap. during swap i noticed new converter has 6 studs, old one has 4. flushed old converter, replaced seal and installed. started and ran, no leaks yea! took short drive down street and back, seemed to work ok. hooked it to camper to test, brake control box not working, unplugged and replugged it came on but now box is clicking and flashing all the time. thought it was a bad controller so i grabbed another that i had and plugged it in. seemed to be working ok hooked to camper in driveway, yea!! few days later i took for another short drive around the block. ran and shifted ok until i came to stop sign. hit the brakes and holy moly! trans was still in 2nd gear and converter was still fully locked. thud thud thud and stalled. started back up and put in drive, working fine until next stop sign, did it again??? *** got it home and walked away from it! week later unplugged control box and tried it again, went to stop sign and all was good. down longer street and noticed not shifting out of 1st and sorta slipping. stopped and checked fluid/ all good. has good pull from stop but after that no shift??? i know woowho.

shovelhead

Reaction score
update, take off in drive and no shift from first. pull shifter to 2nd and it goes into second. put back in drive/od and it shifts and locks converter immediately. od button on shifter has no effect and is not blinking???

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so if you sourced a used diesel e4 with a 6 stud converter,then it came behind a power stroke.the electrical connector for the solenoid pack is different,so what was done there to make it work?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With no 12V power to an E4OD (or later 4R100), you will get the following results:

R = Reverse (may engage slightly harder than usual)
1 = 2nd gear
2 = 2nd gear
(D) = 4th gear (overdrive)

1st and 3rd gear will not engage unless your electrics are working.
Torque converter and coast clutch will also be disabled.

The brake lights are wired into the transmission control system to unlock the converter anytime the brake pedal is touched. This has been known to cause some problems on older trucks. My guess is you have a wiring problem.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As far as I know we can't run the E4OD from a psd engine that has the 6 bolt converter unless we change the solenoid pack. As posted the plug connections are different. Any chance you checked the tps on the throttle shaft of the injection pump? It MUST show at idle setting with key on but engine off a voltage of .96 to 1.2. This is a MUST have setting and these tps switches don't last forever. Figure about 70,000 miles and change them. They wear out.

shovelhead

Reaction score
I did not do any alterations to anything, the plug look the same when both were on the ground. only change was converter. if the solenoid pack is different, I did not see it, how it is sorta working I do not know? can I change out solenoid pack to hopefully correct?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David just explained how it's sorta working.see his post again.;Sweet
yes.you need to use your older solenoid pack.iv no clue how or why your plug on your truck was able to fit the newer style though.only you know what the story is there cus your not telling.:D

Attachments

• solenoid pack plugs 2.JPG
    solenoid pack plugs 2.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 19
  • solenoid pack plugs 4.JPG
    solenoid pack plugs 4.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 16
  • solenoid pack plugs.JPG
    solenoid pack plugs.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 21
  • solenoid_block_pin_id[1].jpg
    solenoid_block_pin_id[1].jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 17

shovelhead

Reaction score
didn't see your last post until after I asked, going to check the plugs again. are they so different to where the harness wont slide on?

shovelhead

Reaction score
I am going to drop pan, forgot magnet when I was flushing it out ooppss. going to pull solenoid pack while I'm in there. will compare to old one. not sure old trans was right either. just talked to person who sold me the trans, said it did come out of newer turbo 7.3. well newer than 92. he didn't remember exact year. going to check harness for any alterations also going to check readings. thanks for info and ill post what I find

shovelhead

Reaction score
no I'm not holding back info, hard for doctor to cure me if I don't tell him my issue. truck is new to me, sure its been hacked up by many :dunno

shovelhead

Reaction score
ok here,s the scoop. old trans has the proper plug set up. new trans has new style. the female plug on the harness is missing the snap clip that if on there would keep it from sliding in. so with that said, you can slide a broken plug into new solenoid pack. going to get new pack and hopefully a plug. will post results asap. thank you for your guidance

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but a loose plug on your old tranny would cause exactly what you described initially... I doubt it was mechanically bad (except for damage from starting in overdrive!)

If you check the codes it may help you trace down which wire(s) are intermittent. I'd also check continuity from the solenoid pack plug up to the TCU (TECA?) while wiggling the wiring around. I'd guess a broken wire or jacked up connector somewhere along the line

shovelhead

Reaction score
installed new solenoid pack today, did change things but....... still not working right. put in drive and takes off in 2nd and will not up shift unless I put gear selector in 2nd then back to drive, then goes into over drive. sorta like before but not locking up converter now. come to a stop, then take off, same thing. it will go into 1st if I put shifter in 1st gear. and od light turns on and off now, where before it stayed on so it did change. going to start chasing wires. any where to find wiring diagrams???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeshmoe72

Members online