Am I on the right track?

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have a big update coming in the next couple days detailing what i did and some of the issues i ahve run into, but first i need some help finishing this up.

I need to bypass the FSV wiring so that it will read the back tank. I have completely removed the FSV and front tank. I have been doing some reading on it and am a little confused on what i need to do.

http://jrohlf.web.cern.ch/jrohlf/fuel_tank_selector.pdf

I think according to this link I need to put the brown/white wire coming from the switch to the yellow/light brown wire coming from the back tank. Is that all I need to do to get this to work? can i just leave all the other wires as they are?

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the picture again I think it is supposed to be yellow/light blue not light brown as I wrote. Also I am not sure what to do with the Yellow/White wire that goes to the gauge on the dash.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This should help,
You must be registered for see images attach

I may be wrong, but doesn’t the selector valve change the output from the sending units?

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is very similar to the link I posted. The problem is I am not that good at reading wiring diagrams. I know the basics, but this one has me confused as to what is actually going on in the selector valve. I also don't know what the M inside the circle means. :dunno

from what i have read today it sounds like it is not as easy as just putting wires together and leaving others.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you’ve got everything taken off already, I would put wire 29 (Y/W) and wire 675 (Y/LB) together and see what it reads.

The M in a circle means there is a motor, in this case it would be a servo instead of a motor since it only moves a set degree to change which tank it flows to.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The M in a circle means there is a motor, in this case it would be a servo instead of a motor since it only moves a set degree to change which tank it flows to.

You've never pulled apart a FSV before? Just so you know, I found it interesting to see the guts when mine blew out. It's actually a motor that drives a screw attached to the... "valves". As it spins it slides a pair of contacts and when they lose connection it stops the motor spinning. When you flip your dash switch it reverses the polarity internally making the motor spin backwards until once again the contacts lose connection and the motor stops running.

Just thought it was interesting enough to share since you mentioned it.

@asmith when my FSV died I did almost exactly what you're doing. I don't remember which colors mine were but I tied the one that goes to the gauge directly to the one that goes to the rear sending unit and left everything else alone. My gauge worked fine so that'll be all you need. Looks to me like the colors Wes posted should be right according to his diagram. Make sure you test them before you seal them up good.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not usually in the mood for self discovery after the diesel shower haha

That’s interesting that it turns a screw, that would mean it would be a motor and not a servo, but that would mean they could use a smaller motor since the screw would give it more torque... definitely put a lot of design into that part, but man they are pricey

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7