Alternator

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only one I put on my 88 was about $230. at IH dealer I just happen to be close when it died. I've used Advanced before with no problems. The biggest thing is the amps. Is it big enough to charge both batteries and everything else? It should have a warranty so I would do it. If it does good you'll save some $$$$

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
How can we help without knowing the brand name? I always say if its cheap its for a reason. Im not saying you wont get years of life out of it or vice versa. Make sure its got a lifetime warranty.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
The advantage of buying from chain stores is that if you save the receipt (even though these days I guarantee you buy a even a stick of gum and you're in their computer database) you can use that warranty anywhere there's a store. In my experience, you WILL use that warranty! I've gotten 2 free starters already on the lifetime warr from O'Reilly. So that's 3 for the price of 1, minus my labor, I guess not bad. If it won't cause you to break down in the middle of nowhere, buy it online to save money, but I like to get the important stuff with a warranty from a company with stores everywhere just in case. Just my $.02.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The advantage of buying from chain stores is that if you save the receipt (even though these days I guarantee you buy a even a stick of gum and you're in their computer database) you can use that warranty anywhere there's a store. In my experience, you WILL use that warranty! I've gotten 2 free starters already on the lifetime warr from O'Reilly. So that's 3 for the price of 1, minus my labor, I guess not bad. If it won't cause you to break down in the middle of nowhere, buy it online to save money, but I like to get the important stuff with a warranty from a company with stores everywhere just in case. Just my $.02.

i agree with that;Sweet

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advance Auto Parts has a limited lifetime warranty. When I asked about that warranty they told me two replacements. That means if the alternator goes south in 30 days they will replace it with another and if that alternator goes south again they will replace it. So let's say that you got your second replacement from them, the next one you pay for. In that case your better off if the warranty is a year or longer over the limited lifetime.

I already hit my limit with Advance on my alternator so instead of giving them the satisfaction of getting more money out of me I went elsewhere. The two times they did replace the alternator they gave me a hassle about it and I had to argue with them. The first thing thy need to do is test the bad one and they wanted me to take it off the truck to test it. I'd have no problem with doing that except the alternator on my truck is not a stock item so that means I would have to take it off, have them test it and then put the defective one back on so that my vacuum pump would still work. I told them how stupid that was and they they could test it in the truck. They finally agreed to test it in the truck and when the guy hooks up the machine he said it was fine because he was getting 12 volts at the battery when the truck was running :confused: cookoo

I called the guy an F(^%$^ idiot -cuss and told him it wasn't charging because your supposed to get 13-14volts when it is charging. After a bit more arguing they ordered the alternator and when it came in they ordered the one with the external regulator and mine has the internal one so I had to wait another week for it to come in.

So in your case, Good luck.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
11 warrentied replacements in my Crown Victoria luckiky i worked there.

I chased a driveability issue in my F350 when it had a 351 gas motor in it, turned out it was a bad advance alternator leaking AC voltage into the charging system.

Had a navigator that the customer brought me a advance alternator. First one was bad, upon removing the defect one i dropped it and it knocked a hole in the radiator. ate a 350 dollar radiator and installed replacement. came back 13 months later. got a motorcraft one instead.

Had a tribute with an intermittent battery light flicker, reman alt from advance, remy brand, replaced with motorcraft...

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the posts. I did take it off today and had it checked at advance, it was fine,but my batteries are dead. They are new from advance this winter. I noticed it cranked slower a couple of days before it quit, maybe the new batteries have some:dunno dead cells? Or is there something I'm missing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online