air leak problem

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
the metal fuel line that connects to the IP seems to be leaking a lil air/fuel.

I have a new olive, the metal flare is perfect. Even if I tighten up the nut as tight as it'll go I can still wiggle the metal fuel line with ease.

I picked up a spare metal line, tried another olive, another flared end, and another nut.... same problem. Anyone ever have this problem? truck runs awesome when it isn't pulling air.
is this line supposed to be able to wiggle? or should I look elsewhere for the air?

thanks
Drew

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
That line probably would be ok if it moves with pressure, only thing keeping it from moving if the seal. The line should be able to support itself if left 'hanging.' It shouldn't really cause an air leak when running, it is on the pressure side of the system and the lift pump exceeds the demands of the transfer pump internal to the inj pump. I doubt you are leaking enough fuel for this to be a problem. Maybe inspect the return check ball, see if there is crap there.
James

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
well there are no hard starts.... I don't know that a return problem would be a problem.

main complaints:
shuddering/shaking until 2k rpms
slight power loss (compared to when there is no air) Most wouldn't notice the power loss, but I can certainly feel/hear it.

on another note.....
is it normal for the IP to be clicking while the truck is running? I was trying to pin down a ticking noise, figured it was just something tapping together, ended up sounding like the IP.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
If there is crap on the check valve though it would be indicative of a possible pump problem. If you are having vibes like that maybe you should also look at your injectors. Bring it up to an rpm it shakes at and start cracking them, one at a time. Does it smoke? See if that makes the smoke go away. If no smoke, see if it goes from shaking to a dead miss.
I replaced a pump in a 6.9 that started great (even below freezing) but came in with a power complaint. Checkball had some buildup on it and couldn't isolate the miss to any one cylinder. It actually seemed to move cylinders. Pump was bad.
Hope I'm not ruining your day :puke: Just trying to throw stuff out there!
James

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
you're not ruining my day....
I have new IP and injectors.

no smoke, ran flawless before this little shake.
I'm fairly certain by the feel that it is still air intrusion.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online