air intrusion

ulmapache

Reaction score
Ok, 1984 f250, 6.9, t19, 2wd...new fuel (lift) pump, new front tank and sending unit, switch valve ok...was getting air intrusion when running on front tank, hesitation, surging...rear tank worked fine...went thru the front tank, now rear tank doing the same thing and gauge is not reading correctly...did not touch then rear tank except to replace the fill tube and vent hose assembly. Think it's time to R+R rear tank and sending unit? Tjx for the replies...Oh, for the vent tube on those old styles...I found that half inch pvc braided fits into the holders nice and snug...better than pex and copper tubing. Might try it if your vent system needs attention.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would guess that it's your selector valve. I know that you said it's ok, but what makes you say that? They can stick part way between the two tanks and draw air in from an empty tank. They can also cause you to draw fuel from one tank and return it to the other one. The reason that I am leaning towards the FSV is because you were having trouble with the front tank. While you were working on that, you were using the rear tank and it worked fine. Then, after you were done, you tested the front tank out. Finally, you switched back to the rear tank and suddenly were having trouble with the rear tank. The common factor? You used the FSV when you switched tanks to check the results of your work. I could be wong on this, but due to the age of the truck, it's my first guess. I was drawing from the front tank and returning to the rear tank on my 1985 F250 so I bypassed the FSV using only the front tank. I'm going to keep it this way and buy a 38 gallon rear tank from Wes (whenever he can get them shipped in again) and use a small transfer pump to pump the fuel from the rear into the front tank. The reason that I'm doing this is because when I bought the truck in 2013, I filled both tanks, but only ran on the front one since it was already using it. Later, I was switching out the sending units in both tanks and when I removed the one from the rear tank, the fuel inside it was cloudy and I didn't want to take a chance on running it through my fuel system. Later, as I was bypassing the FSV, I noticed that the rear tank was now empty and I hadn't drained it.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second @IDIBRONCO on the FSV. I only have my front tank as mine is stuck. Tried to switch it one day and it went to the rear, then never returned. A few choice words and a hammer blow later, and I haven't moved it off the front tank since.

Have you looked into the stock water separator? These are prone to air intrusion as well if the FSV is fixed and there are still issues.

ulmapache

Reaction score
Ja, water separator is aftermarket...and tight as a drum. Interesting...was out and about today, truck ran just fine on both tanks....there may have been a bit of air still in the system after all this pump and tank work.. Eventually will replace the rear tank and sending unit as it is original..and will start having the same issues as the front one did...soon as the sending units become available again...hopefully this month... FSV...I don't know where to get one that fits...the ones at NAPA don't fit, the ones that do fit are a different stock number, and cost like 487 bucks...

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

It was this type?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is this one like it?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score

FV5T + FV5C + SWITCH GENUINE STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCT

6 port motor driven; O.E.M. #12336291, U7001.

• Fuel tank selector Valve controls which tank is supplying the engine with fuel
  • When not replaced, engine may run out of fuel and/or cause fuel pump damage
  • Designed to meet or exceed OE specifications in form, fit and function
  • Global coverage for import and/or domestic applications

VALVE + CONNECTOR + SWITCH

AS SHOWN IN PICTURE

CROSS REF.

POLLAK 42302

Velvac 060047

Incorporates six ports including returns, draws .5 amps max. at 12 Volts, fits 3/8" I.D. hose for fuel supply and 5/16" hose for return lines. Mounting holes:2 5/16" threaded nuts on 1 3/16"centers.valves remains in actuated position after power is disconnected. Installations sheet included. Maximum operating pressure is 60 PSI

Motorized Fuel Tank Selector Valves (Diesel or Gas) These valves are designed for use in applications which involve in-tank fuel pumps, not exceeding the rated pressure of the valve. Motorized valves are driven into position by an electric motor and are stable in either position. They only draw power for a fraction of a second during transfer. A switch in the valve shuts off the motor when the valve reaches the selected position. Note: Another switch within the valve provides automatic fuel gauge readout for selected tank

42-302 42-302P 6 Port Fuel Tank Selector Valve Kit Harness - Gas Diesel

ACDELCO GM ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT 14029228
ACDELCO GM ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT CANADA 14029228
AIRTEX AUTOMOTIVE DIVISION 8F1312
BWD AUTOMOTIVE FSV3
CARQUEST 541701
CARQUEST/STANDARD MOTOR PRODS. 541701
CARQUEST/STANDARD MOTOR PRODS. FV5
CARQUEST/WELLS 541701
ECHLIN 22198
FEDERATED IGNITION FSV3
GP SORENSEN FSV2
KEMPARTS FTV2
NAPA 22198
NAPA 32198
NAPA/ECHLIN FUEL SYSTEM-CRB 22198
NAPA/MILEAGE PLUS FUEL-MPF 32198
NIEHOFF UN52
POLLAK 42149
POLLAK 42203
SIERRA MARINE FSV2
WELLS 541701
WELLS FSV2

This looks like it replaces your echelon 22198, may have to wire in the different connector. This valve is about $80

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ignore last post, I listed 22198 not 22196.

look under pollak valves and you should find a suitable replacement at an affordable price.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've got one on each of our older truck and they've been on for about a year now without issues.

Ford F250 F350 FSuper Duty Fuel Tank Selector Valve $44.87 delivered to you. Direct plug and play, no cutting harnesses or adapting fuel connectors or having to mount it in a weird position.

https://ebay.us/jAtEGv

ulmapache

Reaction score
More clues...surging and hesitation occurs on both tanks when I put my foot into the firewall...seems to run ok so long as I take it easy on acceleration...got a bit of blue smoke when the hesitation occurs...and looses prime overnite, at least on rear tank...am going to find out about front tank in the am... Got a message into Pollack on the FSV...

ulmapache

Reaction score
We've got one on each of our older truck and they've been on for about a year now without issues.

Ford F250 F350 FSuper Duty Fuel Tank Selector Valve $44.87 delivered to you. Direct plug and play, no cutting harnesses or adapting fuel connectors or having to mount it in a weird position.

https://ebay.us/jAtEGv
Out of stock...and mine is an '84...

ulmapache

Reaction score
Water separator full...filter empty after sitting overnite...cannot see any leakage or wet spots... Any thoughts?