Air intrusian question????

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your getting air but no visible leak most likely it's up high. Check the filter head, olives ,and the fuel heater. That has o rings in it too. My '91 had that problem a few years ago.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the check ball in the filter head, had this cause this condition before. when you air or vacum tested or just got something in it the check ball may be stuck. it is the highest point in the fuel system and will let fuel drain to tank and cause this condition

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the check ball in the filter head, had this cause this condition before. when you air or vacum tested or just got something in it the check ball may be stuck. it is the highest point in the fuel system and will let fuel drain to tank and cause this condition

So there IS a factory check on the incoming fuel side. I thought there was but wasn't sure.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A spring loaded check with a .33 or 1 psi pop pressure would work properly while running and stopped. It's what I use on my truck.

What brand/model number did you use? Sounds like you have to be careful and get the correct one for it to do the job properly. The fall in the return line to the tank would even develop some pressure that would try to overcome the spring pressure.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I know of is the fitting where the return line connects to the filter.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

yep that's the one, if it isn't working your system will drain to tank in a few hrs and cause air intrusion problems. usually it a piece from a olive or from a return cap after return line work.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there IS a factory check on the incoming fuel side. I thought there was but wasn't sure.
The factory "check valve" is a spring loaded ball that feeds into the return side of things. It's my understanding that it's meant to help air get pushed out through the return side of things. It's on the pressurized/filtered side of the filter head.

What brand/model number did you use? Sounds like you have to be careful and get the correct one for it to do the job properly. The fall in the return line to the tank would even develop some pressure that would try to overcome the spring pressure.
I don't remember, sorry... the ones I got were hose barbed diaphragm (not ball) models... silver aluminum I think. I used mine on the supply side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle