adjusting valves ??

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a search and came up empty so!
Ive been wanting to adjust my valves 92 ford 7.3 and I was wondering how hard that is to do. are they solid lifters .
I assume it is a T.D.C. thing with a feeler gage, I assume engine hot?
Or am I assuming to much I don't know that is why I am asking you fine folks.

Can someone give me the feeler gage thickness, are the exhaust and intake the same?

I'm sure theres more questions in there some where? LOL
As usual any and all help appreciated.

I still cant get over how great this site has been for me with all the help!
and to tell you how much I appreciate it. Thanks again to all !!!!

another question then My nephew nows a mechanic and he said something like to run the rack does that mean anything?

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
It's not the hydraulic roller lifter that do it, it's the valve train. You torque the rocker girdles down and your done. Stem height on the valves is the only adjustment and you have to take them out and cut them to the proper length.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another question then My nephew nows a mechanic and he said something like to run the rack does that mean anything?
He might be talking about the fuel control rack that you see on older diesels, notably two-stroke Detroits, where the camshaft drives injection timing and pressure and there's a fuel control rack inside the valve cover that operates plungers inside each injector that in turn meters how much fuel's injected with each push from the camshaft and injector rocker arm. The IDI's fuel system uses a high-pressure distributor-style injector pump that operates considerably differently.

I think that the closest user-adjustable analogy on the IDI's injector pump system is the fuel screw that you can tighten to increase maximum fuel delivery. I would recommend taking a look here and here for more info.