Adjustable ball joint bushing issues.

bucholzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm putting my dana 50 back together after a total makeover, but are experiencing issues with the adjustable ball joint bushing. I set the bushing at zero (neutral) as per instructions in preparation for checking the alignment and setting it to specs.

However, when I tighten up the spindle, the axle stub on the driver side binds and I cannot turn it. To get it to rotate I had to set the camber at the most positive setting (3.25 deg), with the upper ball joint standing at a most unhealthy angle. Caster at zero.

I haven't installed the shield that mounts between the spindle and the steering knuckle, but I tried spacing out the spindle with some washers and it didn't help much if any at all.

Anyone had any experience with these types of bushings, I used this: http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOOG-K80108
As far as I can tell it's the correct part, so I'm wondering if there is something else I should worry about -cuss

bucholzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm.. after working the bugs out of the front suspension it became apparent that there was something not quite right: All was well when the hubs was unlocked, but when locked and in rear wheel drive I got a vibration when turning. Disappeared when the road straightened out again. The frequency matched the wheel rotation, so my thoughts fell on the previous mentioned issued I had with installing the adjustable ball joints. The stub on the driver side binded when turning, causing the vibration.

Started messing with adjusting camber and caster, and discovered I had a bit to much positive camber together with way to much positive caster which placed me outside the adjustment range on the bushings (which still was set at zero/neutral). So I pulled the bottom pad and leaf from the front leaf springs, which are 4" skyjackers. This sent me from 2-3 deg positive till 1-2 deg negative camber. Caster also improved. Now I could set caster and camber to specs, with the ball joint adjusted to positive camber (real camber approx 0 deg), which again cured the vibrations when hubs are locked. And as a bonus the truck rides much, much better than before, with softer springs ;Sweet Now the leafs match the adjustable ranchos, and those crappy roads we got ain't an issue anymore..

So the problem is solved, but not sure what actually caused it. Only thing I can think of is that I swapped the needle bearings inside the spindle, and they got pressed a bit deeper into the spindle than the old ones. Could this have affected the stability of the stub axle :confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7