adding an oil cooler to my IDI, questions.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope...
Ford f250 something has a teck 101.
Brb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope...
Ford f250hdxlt something has a teck 101.
Brb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the build thread
Sandwich adapter does not exist.
Bolt on bypass.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,you've got to go with an oil filter bypass and remount mount oil filter to make it happen.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-2840

attachment.php

that's not really a big deal in of itself but,there are no affordable choices (last i checked) to retain the same thread size oil filter for a mount so that you can run large (oem) filters.that's what pushes the price up on ya quick.
see:
http://www.hylube.com/products/rfhadapter.htm

(yes.plus the optional 1.5" - 16 Adapter - that's our oem thread size)

but.........hey.at least someone makes one.so shouldn't complain too much about it but dammit really 150+ for an oil filter mount! ahhh!:mad: lol!

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need one? I have the stock idi oil cooler (not even turbo cooler) with 20 psi boost and I never see oil sump temps more than about 10* above coolant temp even pulling heavy on long hills in 100* outside temps.

I have a dislike of external coolers because you have added a bunch of relatively easy to damage exposed parts that will rapidly run you out of oil if they leak.....

Reaction score
I am not sure if I will need one. I figured it could not hurt. It gets hot down this way and with all the hills and mountains along with the trips we have to make to south Florida pulling a heavy horse trailer it seemed like a good idea. I am also kicking around the idea of electric fan(s). I was thinking an external cooler might help there as well.

I do see your point though. It can be vulnerable to road debris.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the can't hurt - oil that runs too cold can be just as bad as too hot. I find that the sump temps run 10-20* below coolant except for extended high load running, so depending on how you do an external cooler you might make it where the oil never gets up to a good temperature. Engines that use an external oil cooler stock ASFAIK have a thermostat built in for this reason.

Also note that a full flow cooler would have to handle 60+ psi and something like 15 gpm of flow - this is far more flow than a common automotive cooler.

That being said it may very well be that you do need it - can't say without actually measuring things. Put a temp gauge on the sump and see what your oil temps are actually doing before throwing money at it.

I would also strongly recommend against electric fans - you cannot get the same air flow with an electric setup as with a properly functioning mechanical fan. Yes, the stock viscous clutch is a high failure item, but electric fans isn't a good fix if you run heavy. I have a full lockup electric clutch on mine which is awesome, but it's not a cheap or straightforward mod.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the can't hurt - oil that runs too cold can be just as bad as too hot. I find that the sump temps run 10-20* below coolant except for extended high load running, so depending on how you do an external cooler you might make it where the oil never gets up to a good temperature. Engines that use an external oil cooler stock ASFAIK have a thermostat built in for this reason.
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/...empRemoteOilThermostat/Remote_Oil_Thermostats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online