Added Manual Glow Plug relay, now no power to IP shutoff

FnFilthy

Reaction score
I added a manual relay for the glow plugs. Now I no longer have power to the fuel shut off solenoid on the injector pump.

In addition, I just noticed that the AMP light came on. Is there an issue with my alternator?

I have the 140 amp HO alternator (if that matters). I'm praying that the internal regulator hasn't take a dump.

So I can add a manual switch for the IP solenoid, or tap into a wire that's hot only when the ignition is hot.

But I'd prefer to have one that is only hot during cranking and when the engine is actually running.

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year are you working on? If it has the later style glowplug controller system, you do not need toadd any relays for manual control.

FnFilthy

Reaction score
Its a 1992. And the alternator is putting out 14.3v. Odd thing i noticed is that when i remove the power to the fuel shut off, the amp light goes out. And this happens with motor running or not. I wonder if I'm back feeding the system.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put all the wiring back like it's supposed to be. On your controller, take the white wire off and tape it, then put a new wire where the white wire used to be bolted, run this new wire into the cab to a momentary switch, and run another wire on the other side of the switch to ground. That's all you need to do for manual glowplugs.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

FnFilthy

Reaction score
Thanks Franklin2. I'll play around with it this weekend. I finally got the beast on the road for its first outing since I put a new motor in it. My 88 mile commute to work at a steady 55mph droned on just fine. It'll be time for it's first oil change this weekend. I'll tackle the glow plug/AMP light issue then.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I'm home I can help you wire up a manual gp relay setup but you gotta find out the current issues.

If you splice into the red with green stripe wire it's hot only on key on, use that to tie in for only being operable when engine on.

Iirc have the big main hot power source, a splice from the sensor post to red n green, other main post goes to glowplugs, and then run the ground post to cab to a switch, run another wire from switch to any nearby ground point. Then you only have one wire into the cab.

If your relay isn't the 2 big, 2 little post style this advice will not be applicable...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online