A L O T of RDT "smoke"

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
krawlr said:
The scavenger kit uses exaust pulses to pull the fumes from the crankcase.

For me the scavenger kit is assisting the CDR at higher engine speeds. If the CDR could keep up, I'd leave it alone, I really need an engine. Originally my CDR pointed down with an "S" shaped hose going right to the valve cover.

If I used just an RDT I'm sure it would probably smoke like crazy.

Will the scavenger kit alone stop the smoking? I don't think I'm getting any vapor at high engine speeds. If I put my foot on the gas at the light, it stops the smoking. Where else could this be plumbed back to the motor? You mentioned the valve cover. Would that work? I gotta get rid of the smoke!

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
In my case the CDR does all the work at idle. I would try to adapt the CDR to your air cleaner tube. Then run the hose to the valve cover or wherever your RDT is hooked up now. If that's not enough, tee in an RDT too.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me the scavenger kit is assisting the CDR at higher engine speeds. If the CDR could keep up, I'd leave it alone

Here we go again....

I just want to make it clear that the CDR doesn't do much of anything! It supposedly can stop the engine from running away in the event of a catastrophic obstruction of the intake, but other than that it has no working internal parts, and is just a BIG HOLLOW CAN that the blow-by passes through into the intake. It has no function of separating oil from the blow-by, it is NOT A FILTER of any kind. Internally all there is is a big plate mounted on a diaphram disc, and covering the opening into the intake, held open by a spring. It is always open(since there shouldn't be any vacuum in the intake)

An RDT just lets the blow-by passively vent to atmosphere. On my engine it caused enough internal pressure in the crankcase that my engine developed bad oil leakage at the mains and valve covers.

Every engine will usually have some blowby. This is normally routed back into the intake to be reburned(for pollution control reasons)

So, if there is more blow-by than can be pulled into the intake via the CDR, then the crankcase area of your engine is under more positive pressure(from combustion leakage) than the vacuum in the intake manifold can evacuate.

It is a sign of the condition of the engine, not the poor function of the CDR.
The problem is the condition of the engine internals, the symptom is blow-by.

Again, the CDR is just an empty can, it might as well be just a 1" tube from the valley pan to the back of the intake...

Here's a couple pics:
1. The is what's inside. The vapour comes up one tube, and goes straight into the intake via the other tube behind the diaphragm ..click here..
2. Here is a schematic of what goes on.....click here..

Ok, so now I'll zip up my flame suit as usual, and get down off my soapbox...

(I currently have my blow-by routed from the valve cover via a 3/4" heater hose to a condenser of sorts(6 ft of 3/4" brass tubing snaked back and forth) in front of my rad, with a hose which drains the condensed oil down into a can, and the rest of the vapour is then re-routed back via another hose into the intake.) It doesn't stop/cut down the amount of blow-by, but it cuts down on the amount of oil going into the intake(it is nearly dry in there now) and I think the vapours are being equally distributed among all the cylinders.

I still believe that this is treating a symptom, and not the problem. The problem is the rings and/or valve guides/seals are worn. I plan to replace the valve seals shortly and see if this helps or not, but I believe my engine is just getting plain worn out!!

Zigg :)

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Post 15 and my sig both express my need for an engine. I'm just trying to put it off until next winter.

True, I've never had a CDR apart, good to know. Anyway it fits the hole that's there. :D

Got no argument from me. :D