A/C orings

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well I bought the mt2526 oring set from autozone, 3 12 Oz cans of refrigerant, and 8 Oz of PAG oil with uv dye. (Incase the orings don't fix it)
Also I recall someone recommending a formula using ambient temperature to calculate high/low pressures. Anyone recall?
I've read 1.1×temp.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
And I think I maybe found the cause.
So this seems to have been leaking.
You must be registered for see images attach

Don't mind the wet oil on the end, that was from my fingers. Also it was only hand tight.
2nd possible cause. Where the line block comes into the pump, are there supposed to be orings there? Mine had none, but I put some in there. It was slightly oily.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jasper, in my Haynes AC manual, it lists the system pressure ranges for almost every vehicle. For the 1994 model year, the low side pressure for the F Series and Bronco is 28-45. The high side is 128-230. Obviously it depends on ambient temp. I was thinking the general guideline was ambient temp. plus 100 for the high side. @chris142 might be able to help. If I recall, he owns a rad. shop and does AC work too.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@75-90f about 2x ambient on the high side.over that 2.2x ambient if running r134a

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to accurately charge the system is by weight, meaning use refrigerant scales. The pressures should really only be used to ensure the system is flowing/cooling properly. I bought a scale for around $120. Extremely sensitive and great for weighing other things for weight balancing etc.

I have bought oring sets from both Autozone and Oreilly. But an a/c compressor shop will have the best quality. They usually give you about 200 assorted. Whereas the auto shop gives you about 25. I've done 4 vehicles with my set from the compressor shop and I still have some left.

I was told when you charge that you should account for 1oz loss per can, and 1oz loss per charge from manifold and hoses. This is why the scales are so helpful. You know exactly(minus manifold loss) what's going in.

The nice thing about that pressure switch on the drier is that it has a schrader valve under it. You can remove it while the system is charged and replace the ring.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to accurately charge the system is by weight, meaning use refrigerant scales. The pressures should really only be used to ensure the system is flowing/cooling properly. I bought a scale for around $120. Extremely sensitive and great for weighing other things for weight balancing etc.

I have bought oring sets from both Autozone and Oreilly. But an a/c compressor shop will have the best quality. They usually give you about 200 assorted. Whereas the auto shop gives you about 25. I've done 4 vehicles with my set from the compressor shop and I still have some left.

I was told when you charge that you should account for 1oz loss per can, and 1oz loss per charge from manifold and hoses. This is why the scales are so helpful. You know exactly(minus manifold loss) what's going in.

The nice thing about that pressure switch on the drier is that it has a schrader valve under it. You can remove it while the system is charged and replace the ring.
Yes a scale is ideal.but if you do not know the charge amount my 2.0-2.2 ambient works well

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I mean the switch was leaking to the inside, where the plug goes in, or where the metal case is crimped onto the plastic.
Kinda like how the filter restriction sensor leaks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's where it's sitting right now. This is after vacuuming and the 3 12 Oz cans.
Slight frost forming on the vacuum line coming out of the compressor.
Should I call it good? Or add a little more?
It's roughly 80°F right now.
Vent temp is fairly cold. No thermometer.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it factory AC? If so it needs 80-85% of the r12 charge if using r134a.what's your r12 charge supposed to be?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always "thought" 94 was the changeover year for the trucks so I expected that Jasper "should" already have R134a in his truck. Thanks for confirming that Jasper-just means my memory isn't totally shotLOL

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then put in what the correct charge amount is.should be a sticker somewhere. 94 was the change over year. I just had a 94 Dodge van in my shop built 9/93 that was still r12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online