98 2500 24v turbo problems???????????

thefuzz472

Reaction score
when i drive on a long trip 250 miles or more, the turbo will quit. when it quits you can turn the ignition switch off and on real fast while you are still moving and the turbo will kick back on. you can just be driving along on the interstate and all of a sudden you will lose power. any suggestions??????????

mprmn08

Reaction score
Im not to familier with the 24v but is there anything electrical plugged into the turbo? i.e. elec. wastegate actuator. it almost sounds like something electrical if you can turn the off then on and its better but thats just a thought.

Whit

Reaction score
First off lets clarify yer vintage

98 in a 12 valve mechanical motor

98.5 is a 24 valve electronically controlled motor

which vintage do you have

second...........a turbo on either one of those trucks if it quits wont just re-start again....if it quits then its done

a turbo compressor wheel is driven by exhaust from the exhaust pinwheel thru a common shaft, so if it stops then the bearings are done

my thoughts on yer problem is that you have a 98.5 electronic vintage and yer truck for whatever reason is going into the "limp mode"

get some codes for us

key on
key off
key on
key off
key on...........read codes in odometer window and report back

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
shouldn't be the turbo that's causing it because the turbo is all mechanical.

I'm not real sure what to tell you but I know from poking around on my buddies 99 that the turbo doesn't have any electrical on it - it uses a total mechanical turbo and wastegate system.

Bear

Reaction score
Turbo Problems

Dude just a thought but maybe you should check the connection on your injector pump, for you to lose power while in mid flight on the interstate gives me the idea its electrical. I would also be checking your ignition switch just for ***** and giggles. To pull codes is a great idea, but if the problem is intermittent the truck might not always throw a code.

Bear

thefuzz472

Reaction score
I have the 98.5 24 valve, i checked for codes and nothing showed up but the mileage..........also checked wires going to injector pump and everything seemed to be ok

mprmn08

Reaction score
so what exactly is it doing. you lose power suddenly, smokes like crazy from loss of air from turbo so loses power, or what? it almost HAS to be something electrical if it basicly resets when you switch it off then on again.

thefuzz472

Reaction score
codes are p1693 dtc detected in ecm, p0216 inj pump timing failure, p0121 apps-idle validation disagree, p0234 turbo boost limit exceeded

Whit

Reaction score
codes are p1693 dtc detected in ecm, p0216 inj pump timing failure, p0121 apps-idle validation disagree, p0234 turbo boost limit exceeded

1693 is a companion code..........means nuttin

216 is the death code of yer VP-44

need a new VP bud ..................hate to say it but she is gonner

when ya get a new VP44 also get a airdog or Fass pump to give addiquate fuel flow to keep it cool

kwcrusader

Reaction score
I had a similer problem on my 2001 2500 and it turned out to be a bad lift pump. I would check your fuel pressure at the fitting on your filter housing.
Make sure its above 5-psi. To test it, bump your motor and leave the key on but don't start it. If it's under 5-psi replace the lift pump (less expansive), if it's over 5-psi 98% chance you need a new VP-44

thefuzz472

Reaction score
is there a difference between a vp44 pump for a auto and a 5 speed? mine is a 5 speed.....is there a way to tell by looking at the pump what the difference is if any?

Whit

Reaction score
is there a difference between a vp44 pump for a auto and a 5 speed? mine is a 5 speed.....is there a way to tell by looking at the pump what the difference is if any?

there are 2 VP versions out there

one for SO trucks (standard output)

one for HO trucks (high output)

the only trucks from 98.5-2002 that had the HO version also had the 6 speed NV5600 tranny ............so all 5 spped and auto tranny will have the SO/VP-44

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online