97 Burb: 6.5 swap?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I've found a 1997 Burb in decent condition that has a bad 6.5 in it. I'm contemplating saving it from the scrap yard and putting a new engine in it. I see "Hummer 6.5's" here in Denver quite often for a reasonable price. From my understanding, those "Hummer" 6.5s' have the older style Injection Pumps (without the Electronic eye for checking fuel coloration) this is what I"d want so I could burn WMO in it.

Question is, what would be entailed electronically speaking to convert it to a mechanical IDI?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search the web for Bobby martin. He has a conversion manual for going DS4 (electric) to DB2 (mechanical).

IIRC you really need to get an IP from a 92-93 6.5 turbo diesel as they have bigger plungers, a full parts truck would be good too. Also the 94 and 95's have a OBD1 ECM and it is dummer and can be fooled easier

Search for bobby martin he has done this many times and has a manual for it. I never really considered doing it, I like the adjustability of elect pumps and their system personally and dont have problems adding a couple gallons of WMO as an additive or running B99

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search the web for Bobby martin. He has a conversion manual for going DS4 (electric) to DB2 (mechanical).

IIRC you really need to get an IP from a 92-93 6.5 turbo diesel as they have bigger plungers, a full parts truck would be good too. Also the 94 and 95's have a OBD1 ECM and it is dummer and can be fooled easier

Search for bobby martin he has done this many times and has a manual for it. I never really considered doing it, I like the adjustability of elect pumps and their system personally and dont have problems adding a couple gallons of WMO as an additive or running B99
+1
a pre-94 motor with a 4L80E hung on it's backside will give you a bulletproof setup. But you will need a donor with the ECM and harness.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a really slick 93 6.5 down here for sale that i am trying to get a buddy of mine to buy before i get that itch.

Its an Ex Cab Long Bed SRW 4x4 3500 Auto 6.5L power everything 120K. I'm in love. not like. LOVE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726