1999 4R100 work in my 97 F350?

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my winter truck needs a trans. its a 1997 F350 4x4 crewcab 7.3 powerstroke and E4OD and the front pump seal puked while driving now the OD shifter light is flashing. it had a harsh shift when I bought it so could have been issues already.

I have a 1999 E450 parts truck with a 7.3 powerstroke and 4r100 trans that worked great and had fairly low KM. it has the park brake on the back of the trans , so it will fit for a 4wd application. what I'm not sure about is the electronics and wiring harness. I don't know when the major changes were made in the trans. I'm trying to keep my costs down and use parts that I already have. rebuilding my 97 trans is not an option. I will put a new seal in the 99 4r100 if it will work in my truck and possibly a HD torque convertor but thats all I can afford with the trans.

any input or experiences would be much appreciated.
cheers James

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be done, but it isn’t easy, straightforward, or cheap. Google 4R100 in OBS 7.3 and you’ll get lots of info on what mods you need to do.

You really only have a couple of choices: pick up a junkyard trans and pray hard you get lucky, or have your E4OD rebuilt. Bear in mind: E4ODs can be built very tough (Trackspeeder can point out the important things to upgrade) it just isn’t cheap.

If you are feeling cheap and saucy (think chicken wings) I have the ATSG book if you are down for some reading and want to tear your apart and try to throw some parts at it.

Good luck no matter which way you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online