97 7.3 to t444e swap

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My motor blew up in my 97 F3 50. I got a school bus T4 for four with 100,000 miles for a song. I was reading that you have to swap the number eight injector for a fuel return. What is this about is that true

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is from another forum.
Number 8 had a TSB for the noise being a dead headed fuel system, they installed an AE code injector in #8 which is also called a long lead injectors as it is mechanically tuned to deliver a longer lead time to allow for less cackle. Technically you can run either, I run AD's which are 1-7's. But I also have a Fuel Rail Crossover to eliminate the dead head issues.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I was just making sure I was t required to do it for the swap as I am still in the process and moving across country next weekend so I don't need any surprises

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the above only applies to the super duty split shot injectors. Your bus motor is most likely AC single shot injector.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. My motor is a 2001 t444e so it should have split shot injectors. I am going to have a tune written for this but wanted to make sure all of the hard parts were transferred over.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the engine put in and then had to have it pulled back out as the ta-31 sealant got oil in it and leaked terribly.

So now, since the motor got pulled and flipped to PROPERLY apply the sealant the truck blows black smoke like it never had before. It's smokes like a teenagers truck.
Any ideas?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using the electronics for the 2001 motor or for your 1997. Is it black smoke?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped everything from my old motor including injector harnesses. I also have a tune from JeliBuilt to run the different injectors. Also the truck didn't smoke at all before the mech flipped the engine to change the oil pan sealant.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has had a tank of fuel run through it. And it's been like 1-2mo since the work was done