'94 mods

rubberfish

Reaction score
I'm guessing that most of you know by now what I'm starting next week if you read http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1858&forumid=60
What I want to do is tow 4,000-8,000lbs without running too hot.
Looking for ideas such as fuel plate and the such.
Not nessacarily looking to be "Dyno King",
just want to make about 350-400rwhp.

So,,,,What ya done, and hows it working for you?

p.s. already taken care of the KDP;)

Whit

Reaction score
rubberfish, I not much knowlege on the 12valvers but I know that Tim, tpcdrafting bombed his with a fuel plate, 3k gov springs and a few gauges and the rig is doing like 375hp and 800 tq if I remember right, Tim will chime in soon

:yell: HEY TIM :yell: Give us the details dude

Cheers, Kevin

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
It dyno'd at 370 hp and 900 tq. at over 5000' elev. This is on a 215 pump tho.
Guages, pod and mods came to less than $700. Not bad for doubling the power. It does run hot on the mountain passes, I just control with the right foot. Essentially, I run the same speed as before, but Im barely touching the go pedal as before I had it floored. On the '94, you might need bigger delivery valves if you add injectors. I know mine would be through the roof in temps if I added 370's right now. I'm saving for a turbo/or housing, 4" or 5" exhaust and gonna do a BHAF setup next time the air filter is due.

The best thing you could do is call these guys:

www.piersdiesel.com
Tell them what you have, what kinda power you want, what you plan to use it for, where you wanna go and how much you wanna spend. Definately get some guages first.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Tim
I already have boost and pyro gauges.
I wasn't planning on a different pump or injectors.
There is also 4" exhaust in place.
I was thinking about what you said, and I can probably control temps with the right foot. I'm usually only going to be loaded with about 4000-5000lbs. Sometimes up to 8000lbs of trailer.
It sounds like temps won't be too much of a problem then with towing these weights? I know what you mean about towing to the floor, that's how I have been towing for the last 5 years with the poor old 6.5:eek:
I'll be glad to see that POS on the shop floor:D
What fuel plate are you running, and what position is it in?
I was thinking 11 crammed all the way. Maybe a bit much though eh? Would a 10 be better for towing?

on edit: I agree with you that Piers knows his stuff, however I'm a little reluctant to spend money at his shop, 'cause everytime I've talked to them guys, they just shove their nose up in the air when they find out I have a Chev. Too F*****g bad for them now, I guess, 'cause they won't get a dime from me if I can help it.
I'm not in the habit of bashing people, but Piers and his staff need to stop treating Chev owners like ****, because one day they may end up owning a Cummins,,,,,, and BD Power is just around the corner from them.

Last edited:

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I haven't put a 10 in mine, so I can't say which is better personally. I have read where the 11 is better for pulling especially if you climb mountain passes. I have the 11 and it's slid about 1/2 way forward. I didn't do any technical measuring, just eyeballed it in the middle. I had to do the Gov. lever adjustment on mine to wake it up.

The 11 looks kinda like two sevens stacked (to me):

I adjusted the lever up to hit the plate at take off about 1/2 way up the lower ramp.
The guy that has helped me so much with mine has a '0' plate in his. I would not recommend it for towing unless you have major air mods that keep it cool. He does and is making around 525 hp and his pyro didn't go past 900 deg F on the dyno. Mine, well it was pegged from about 2300 rpm up.

I'm posting the plate chart from TST's website. It looks like you ought to be doing a #5 or #6.

I can only say a few things about the 6.5. One my Dad drives a '94 1500 with the 6.5. Has about 190k on it with minimal trouble. Although his biggest load has been his golf bag in the back seat. All the others I know with them that tow have problems left and right.
Edit: At least it's not a frod;Poke ;Really

Attachments

• pklisting.gif
    pklisting.gif
    22 KB · Views: 38
Last edited: