94 crew cab interior lights and power door question

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone who has a 92-97 crew cab, how do your interior lights work?
My 94 crew cab interior lights will only come on if I open if I open the passenger front door (sometimes)or I can turn them on via headlight switch. The switchable interior lights only work if I open the passenger front and rear doors. Does this issue sound like I need a new set of door jam sensors?

Also my crew cab didn't come with rear power windows but I do see a covered harness going to each of my rear doors, do i have power rear door locks and they simply don't work? Or

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes you have rear power door locks, maybe the actuators dont work?
check for 12V before doin anything
cant help on the dome light.
mines disconnected

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should have lock solenoids in the doors. Many of them don't work any more. I have one out in the rear right now. The replacements are only available at the cost of 180 bucks a side though. I have been looking at how to make a replacement for the front work in the rear. Wiring plugs are different and mounting bracket is different, but physical size is close to the same. I will document this when I do it.

If you can read a schematic, I will post a picture of the courtesy light wiring schematic. Sounds like you need a pin switch for the drivers door, which is different from the other three btw. Not sure why your rear doors don't turn on the light as well, they should.

Map lights should turn on any time the switch on the light is turned on.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I figured I had rear power door locks but some car companies install a complete wiring harness but don't install heated or power seats for instance.

Electrical isn't my favorite but I will give it shot

Now for the map/courtesy lights and the switchable lights they do come on when I switch them on via headlight switch, but when I open the drivers door with the truck on or off it doesn't activate the map lights but it does make that reminder sound that the keys are still in the ignition. The drivers rear door also doesn't activate the map lights, and the same with the passenger rear door, but the passenger front door does activate the map lights sometimes, is this my door jam sensors that have failed or is this another issue.
I will take some pictures tomorrow to help visualize the issue I'm having.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a switch in the door jam, its prolly stuck, a lill WD should help it.
i need to get mine back together!

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my truck the wires going into the rear doors were broken and keeping the rear locks from working. Check where the harness flexes between the door post and the door itself.

My truck doesn't have the sensors in back for the map light to come on when open, but it is a bricknose truck.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

1st and 2nd picture is the passenger front door (only door open) with the courtesy lights working the switchable lights are not lighting up(the switch is on) with the courtesy lights
3rd and 4th picture is the front and rear passenger doors open and the switchable lights up after opening the rear door
5th picture is the drivers side doors only

Should all four doors individually activate the courtesy lights.

I will check voltage on the rear actuators wires tomorrow. $180 for a single rear actuator :shocked:
Looks like I may need to rob some parts off my moms enormous lawn ornamant (95 f350 230k power stroke cclb with power rear windows and rke ) that has a bad idm

Last edited:

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My map lights will only turn on when the headlights/running lights are on. Courtesy lights turn on with just the front two doors.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ X2, there are no switches in the rear doors. only power locks.

dont be hesitant to work on the electrical, this is a great place to start learning.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All four doors should individually operate the courtesy lights in the dome, and one in each door panel. Each door has a pin switch that supplies 12 volts to the lights. The lights are then grounded through the light mount directly to the roof, and each door has a wire out to a ground in the cab.

The switchable map lights should only come on when the switch is turned on.

Here is what I think is partly happening. You need to remove the dome light. One of the screws that holds it in also grounds it to the roof. It is obvious which one once you take the cover off. I also think you have some bad pin switches in each door. Passenger front seems to be good.

It is hard reading it to keep up with exactly what is happening, but I think your map lights are grounding out through the courtsy light circuit once it is tripped. Will the switched (on the roof) map lights ever come on without a door open?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to cannibalize a CCLB Powerstroke potentially worth $10,000 or more, that only needs a $100 used IDM and five minutes of work, over a $5.00 generic door switch? Before even TESTING the switch?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726