88 Bronco IDI Turbo Build

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
88 Bronco Turbo IDI ZF5 Build

1988 Ford Bronco Build

I found it on Craiglist. $700 and I towed it home in a snowstorm. I heard rumors about a snowstorm before I left, and still went anyway because weather forecasters seem only be right half the time. It began to snow as I was loading it onto the dolly. The lady I purchased from said I was crazy. But I headed back to closest town slowly because the dolly is not equipped with brakes. Then I camped out in a parking lot until the roads were cleared of the wet slushy snow. I drove back the rest of the way at 4am.

You must be registered for see images attach

The body of the Bronco is quite good. It has a few dents, mainly on the roof. It does have the usual tailgate rust. Rust on the lip of the hood and a couple other places. Frame, cab mounts, and rockers appear very good.

The Bronco had a 302 v8 and AOD transmission. 3.55 Gears. I was able to get the gas engine running after changing the fuel filter and old gas. However since it was going to be a diesel swap, I went ahead and pulled the 302 V8 and transmission. I gave the engine to a friend that will use it as a spare for his truck. I kept the transfer case and scrapped the transmission.

I've got two parts trucks. A 1994 F350 Turbo IDI with e4od and a 1989 F250 IDI with Zf5. The plan is to convert my dually truck to 4x4 with the dana 60 front and e4od transmission from the f350 and use the Turbo IDI in the Bronco along with the ZF5 setup from the F250. The F250 also has 3.55 gears that match the bronco, so I will likely swap the sterling rear into the Bronco. Haven't decided on how to convert the Bronco front axle to 8-lug. Best option is probably to use parts from a Chevy 10 bolt front axle as found on the web. The F250 is a leaf sprung 44HD TTB that is not compatible with the coil sprung Bronco 44 TTB. The front will recieve heavier coils to hold the weight.

The plan is to have a nice 3 season driver. No more salt. I want to end up with a factory looking diesel Bronco, using stock parts where possible. Keeping the ttb front, using 8 lug wheels, and probably nothing bigger than 265/75/r16 tires. The reason for diesel is better mileage over the gas engine, simplicity, and more fuel choices.

Last edited:

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like it does it...This is the first notification I got, I thought I deleted this thread. Probably won't get to it until winter.