86 F250 Deal

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor has just offered me his 1986 Ford F250. 2wd, Auto 7.3 n/a. Regular cab. Transmission has been rebuilt and has less than 200 miles on it. I haven't gotten a clear story as to what is wrong with the engine. I do know that squirrels has nested in then engine compartment and wreaked havoc on the wiring. They have attempted to fix the wiring. There may be nothing wrong with the engine. But I do know that they purchased a 93 idi with an ATS turbo. There are 2 spare oil coolers and a complete front end off of an 83 F250. The truck is pretty straight no rust that I can see. The 93 idi was rebuilt, but the guy that rebuilt it timed it by ear. He ran it too hot and burnt a hole in on of the pistons. The motor is complete minus injectors. Someone stole them.

Bottom line, price is 1200. I need some opinions. I can post pics of the truck as soon as I take some. I may do this deal just to part it out. Maybe I could make a few bucks. I don't know. I really don't need anymore projects. But this seems like a really good deal. Almost too good to pass up.

John

Reaction score
How the @#$%^&* are you gunna make a few bucks parting out a truck you paid $1200 for? You must have made a typo? Heck I will sell my 88 that runs for $300! My crew cab for $1500!

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ok then. Thanks for the input. That is why I was asking. He did say 1200. So I guess this is not a good deal then. Thanks, sorry if this post upset you.

John

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
How the @#$%^&* are you gunna make a few bucks parting out a truck you paid $1200 for? You must have made a typo? Heck I will sell my 88 that runs for $300! My crew cab for $1500!

Wish I was closer! Your 88 would be mine!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The posts above are true about the high price. It also seems like they bought a 93 that junk too. You can't burn a hole in just one piston and not do any damage to other engine parts. I bet the turbo is burned up also. Just timing a motor by ear wont cause it to burn one piston.... All the cylinders are going to be the same temp. No injectors in a motor alows a path for water to enter the cylinders too. Even if the hood is closed. These trucks cowl weather strips have a tendancy to leak rain water. That will ruin a motor fast without you knowing its happened.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I'm with 93f250idi on that, I could get over 300 in scrap for a F250 let alone what it could be sold for here.

Reaction score
I haven't gotten around to making an ad for them.

The '88 is $300 4x2 zf5 aircon actually works! hasn't been on the road in YEARS. it has been used though on the farms, but has sat in the barn for at least a year. It needs batteries, glow plugs and clutch slave. Water disappears but doesn't leak or overheat.

1987 F350 SRW CC 4x4 for $1500.

I don't know the mileage. oddly enough I think I only have looked at the odometer once since I got it! The speedo is way off due to the tires and/or something else.
Also, the vacuum gizmo isn't hooked up for the trans, so it is best to shift manually. It has needed glow plugs since I got it, but it always started in the summer so I never got around to it.

It has been sitting for quite awhile in the driveway because of lack of money, and so the batteries are dead. The electric lift pump died, and while I was waiting to replace it, the tags expired. Well coming up with $70 for the pump was tuff try near $200 for registration, don't forget insurance coupled with the fact I never really used it except for pleasure, all equals it aint gettin done.

Times are tuff money wise around here. Selling grandmas farm adds 2 more vehicles to my driveway , and there is no room. The city already hassles me as it is. No room + no $ = sell stuff. Low prices come because I don't want to deal with dickering and repairs because I am lazy and put things off. I paid $1500 and everyone here thought it was a steal, so I figured that I would just pass it on.

I had figured to fix it (lify pump at least so I could show it ran) then make an ad and sell it for more. Round tuits don't come here often though.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all then input. I appreciate you keeping me inline. What I thought was a decent deal turns out to not be. Glad I came on here before I made a mistake!

John

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten around to making an ad for them.

The '88 is $300 4x2 zf5 aircon actually works! hasn't been on the road in YEARS. it has been used though on the farms, but has sat in the barn for at least a year. It needs batteries, glow plugs and clutch slave. Water disappears but doesn't leak or overheat.

1987 F350 SRW CC 4x4 for $1500.

I don't know the mileage. oddly enough I think I only have looked at the odometer once since I got it! The speedo is way off due to the tires and/or something else.
Also, the vacuum gizmo isn't hooked up for the trans, so it is best to shift manually. It has needed glow plugs since I got it, but it always started in the summer so I never got around to it.

It has been sitting for quite awhile in the driveway because of lack of money, and so the batteries are dead. The electric lift pump died, and while I was waiting to replace it, the tags expired. Well coming up with $70 for the pump was tuff try near $200 for registration, don't forget insurance coupled with the fact I never really used it except for pleasure, all equals it aint gettin done.

Times are tuff money wise around here. Selling grandmas farm adds 2 more vehicles to my driveway , and there is no room. The city already hassles me as it is. No room + no $ = sell stuff. Low prices come because I don't want to deal with dickering and repairs because I am lazy and put things off. I paid $1500 and everyone here thought it was a steal, so I figured that I would just pass it on.

I had figured to fix it (lify pump at least so I could show it ran) then make an ad and sell it for more. Round tuits don't come here often though.

so him buying a trk that doesnt run for 1200 is dumb, but your selling a trk that doesnt run for 1500.
that MUST be a typo

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
you could make money parting out for $1,200 i've paid more for trucks even 2wd and still made enough money to cover me

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You have either misunderstood, or you simply lack the knowledge and experience required. Making a few bucks parting out a 4x2 f250 you paid $1200 for that no one knows whats wrong with, and buying a f350 4x4 CC that needs a $70 repair are not nearly the same.

I could go on and explain it to you in more detail listing what parts are worth what amount of money, but I think you were just trying to being snide and really not looking for an answer.

If you drive that truck to tennessee you want 1500 dollars i will take a loan out and buy it from you