84 chevy/97 camaro

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 84 chevy 3/4 ton...And the guy(certified mechanic) dropped in a 97 camaro motor in it...It's a v8, i believe a 350 but I'm not sure...does anyone know which model it would be? Z28, RS,SS anything? and also I'd like to have the computer "flashed" and brought back to stock settings because I can smell a rich fuel mixture from the exhaust...thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 84 chevy 3/4 ton...And the guy(certified mechanic) dropped in a 97 camaro motor in it...It's a v8, i believe a 350 but I'm not sure...does anyone know which model it would be? Z28, RS,SS anything? and also I'd like to have the computer "flashed" and brought back to stock settings because I can smell a rich fuel mixture from the exhaust...thanks
if it came out of a camaro, i really doubt it's a 350. chances are it's more than likely a 305. irregardless, the best way to tell which small block you have 305/350 is the diameter of the harmonic balancer. measure the diameter and report back.

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
If I'm correct the 97 30th anniversary camaro v8 was a 350...I'm not100% sure on that...what is the harmonic balancer? and where is it located, and how do I measure it

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm correct the 97 30th anniversary camaro v8 was a 350...I'm not100% sure on that...what is the harmonic balancer? and where is it located, and how do I measure it
all you stated it was a v-8 out of a camaro. you didn't say anything about it being a 30th anniversary model. I would be very suspicious if it did come out of one rather than getting the car restored and sold.
the harmonic balancer is the lowest pulley on your drive belt system. i can post a pic later to help you locate it.
most people will use a tape measure to measure the furthest point from side to side on the circle to get the diameter. use whatever means you feel comfortable with tho to get the best results.

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
I really don't know if it's the 30th or not...I just bought it last week and haven't been home long enough to pop the hood let alone have to put gas in. My best guess is that it's a 350 because it's got way more power than a 305 should...Also, what about just gettin the VIN off the block and checking it?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its out of a 97 camaro it should be a LT1, is your trk fuel injected? the dist would be behind the harmonic balancer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726