8.3 Cummins in an Autocar

autocartodd

Reaction score
I have a 1948 Autocar C50-200. It's got a 501 Blue Streak gas engine, 5 Speed over drive Autocar transmission and a 3 speed Aux transmission. The engine has developed some over heating issues and is tired. My plan is to repower with an 8.3 Cummins and a Clarke 5 speed.

The problem is the truck has a short hood so engine length is a problem. My second choice is a DT466. Any thoughts? Thanks Todd

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I regret to say that I don't know anything about the old Autocars, but it sounds like a fun project ;Sweet

How big is the truck, and what's it rated for? Any pics?

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not intend to haul with it, a 4 cyl detroit with high gearing may be a nice setup and economical to operate.
Are you an ATHS member?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on what your doing with it a 466 can be built to handle about anything. If you need some measurements I have a dt466/allison in an IH s1900 that I'll be parting out eventually.

autocartodd

Reaction score
Yes I'm an ATHS member I belong to the Steel Valleys chapter. It's a single axle tractor It weighs about 11000 lbs. It's got 12.00 X 24 tires. it's also geared low 8.7 to 1 . I'll change that later. I'll try to post some pictures. It's a blast to drive but it is gear bound.

autocartodd

Reaction score
Still trying to get some pictures of the truck posted. Any thoughts on how the DT466 would work out? I think I can get a good deal on one. Anything to look out for? Thanks Todd

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
The DT466 is an easy and plentiful engine to buy and maintain. What to look out for? Try to get one newer than 84. In 95-96 they started using electronic injection, so look out for those too. The 466E isnt cost friendly, but in the coming months they will have a few hot rodding parts available. The most ideal is 88-92, and 2nd place is 93-97 mechanical.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Being an old Autocar fanatic, I would honestly hate to see that thing go back on the road in anything other than its original configuration. THose old workhorses are things of pure beauty, and parts ARE available if you choose to rebuild the original engine and I know where.
But if you must do an engine swap, I cant see a DT 466 or an 8.3 cummins fitting under the hood of a 48 without some issues. The original suggestion of a 4 cyl detroit or an early smaller cummins ( like a 262 or smaller )would fit in there much easier. MAke sure you use an engine you can wrap up to at least 22-2300 rpm minimum or those gears will have you moving a bit slow.
Keep the brownie and the double over will give you what you need ( I speak from experience here , look at my signature :D

autocartodd

Reaction score
I can't justify the cost of rebuilding the 501 when it's 145 HP. I purchased a mechanical 8.3 and after taking measurements, it should fit. I also got a Spicer 7 speed overdrive transmission, will keep my 3 speed White aux. transmission and after 5 years of looking,found another 44,000 rear with 6.75 to 1 gears. Plan are to install the new engine and transmission after the Tri State truck show in Sept. I'm going to try and post a picture of my truck" Big Melvin " Thanks for the replies. Todd

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online