70% WMO unheated in winter. Fuel pump options?

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I would go with an electric pump but 70% wmo with temps in the teens leaves me with few options for a lift pump, at least as far as I have seen.

I am considering running a very small belt driven pto pump that comes on when I switch to wmo mix and an electric carrier pump when on diesel. My biggest concern was getting the wmo side to self prime but I think I may have solved that problem by putting the hydro pump low and the wmo tank in the bed.

Has this been tried? :dunno

wmoguy

Reaction score
I don't know if your idea will work or not. I've been contemplating the same thing lately, as I have other plans for my lift pump. I think this is the way I will be going. This pump can pump just about anything, including cold oil, water, diesel, you name it.

http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Base-Model_Pump/Base-Model_Pump.html

They don't give them away, but from what I've read on here, failure running a carrier/holley/Carter/insert other brand name diesel rated pump is not a "if" it fails but more of a "when"

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I thought it would be a neat idea to run my centrifuge pump as a fuel pump because it works so well and is very compact. I have no idea what kind of flow it pumps out, only that i get about 1.5 GPM and 95psi out of it. Thats turning at 1700 rpm i think.

Edit: My 'fuge pump is the power steering pump from a '92 VW Cabriolet. It does not have a mounted reservoir, which makes it so small.

I think if you can keep the pressure under control it wouldnt be a bad idea.

That said, i was running slightly less than 70% WMO in my truck, but i thin with kerosene and gas, so its much thinner than it would be if thinned with diesel. I run this full time as i only have one tank. I have one of the Facet Dura-Lift pumps mounted right at the filterhead.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I see how a power stearing pump set up to pump back to the tank with a t and a pressure regulator or a simple adjustable valve to restrict return volume untill pressure was correct. It would be easy and would also constantly filter your WMO might also add some heat from running through the system.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I got a power steering pump mounted on my engine for wmo, its fed by a 1 inch line so even if the oil is cold it can flow well. Trouble is it blew my 3/8 return line as soon as it purged. I wish I had time to finish the project since I think I am close to having a good working system. I obviously need a much larger return to keep pressure down and a ( probably custom) regular. Looking back I probably should just have bought the pump wmoguy listed.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you want to run heavy fuels, you need a pump rated for Bunker C marine fuel which is the consistancy of WMO/WVO and like it , has to be heated before it can be burned. I did some SERIOUS searching a while back for all you guys running teh stuff, so you could quit burning up pumps that just aren't made for moving anything that thick, and came up with the Reverso 312 gear pump with pressure relief. I was in contact with the head tech guy at the company who handles marine applications and he said this puppy should do the trick ;Sweet This pump has a 1500 hour life expectancy when used in the type of application you guys want it for. which is about the same as most normal e pumps will live on pump fuel.

Regular e pumps simply were not designed to handle heavy fuels and even if you pre heat, there are always going to be times when you forget to completely purge before shutting down and wind up starting cold on thick stuff no matter how hard you try and a regular e pump just isn't going to hold up.

subway

Reaction score
most people running WMO dont have a lot of extra to swing a pump like that. i am not saying it is not worth it just hard to swallow, we dont drive old trucks because we are loaded LOL

i know the turbowex pump was a let down, it didnt hold up.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most people running WMO dont have a lot of extra to swing a pump like that. i am not saying it is not worth it just hard to swallow, we dont drive old trucks because we are loaded LOL

i know the turbowex pump was a let down, it didnt hold up.

That is not what the advertising said!
Sure seemed like a super pump! Guess you proved it wrong!
I am still pushing my wmo with a holley red and a prayer here and there.

Javier

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the best bet is to thin the WMO anyways so the rest of the fuel system acts as close to normal as possible. I'm running a Carter and I'm a little disappointed with it. It seems to lack flow or at least be close compared to the stock lift pump running the same mix as higher RPMs (2800+ish) in the cold.

Although thinking about it, it could very well be a timing issue.

FOr $500 I'd rather run 2 pumps in parallel and still be less and 50% of the cost. Plus you'd have a back-up if one died.

1500hrs is terrible for pump life.

subway

Reaction score
Fortunately I didn't have to prove the turbowex fell short, it let wmoguy down. I was hopeing it would pull through though, glad your Holley blue is holding up. Mine could not push any of the thick stuff.

I still think a gear pump would be the way to go, you would just have to have a good high flow external regulator. So far I have had the best luck with some thinning and a carter lift pump.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fortunately I didn't have to prove the turbowex fell short, it let wmoguy down. I was hopeing it would pull through though, glad your Holley blue is holding up. Mine could not push any of the thick stuff.

I still think a gear pump would be the way to go, you would just have to have a good high flow external regulator. So far I have had the best luck with some thinning and a carter lift pump.

I tried pumping WMO through an F series external high pressure fuel pump and it seemed to flow pretty good. I was thinking of trying one with a regulator to 12psi and see how it does.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Airdog Raptor will work. I installed a Golden fuel veggie kit on a Cummins a little over a year ago and a Raptor was part of the kit. The pump is strong and adjustable from about 5psi-50psi. It has a coolant heated HotFox pickup in the tank and a heated filter as well. Once the engine is up to temp he switches over via a dash mounted switch. The heaters don't heat the tank up, just the fuel immediately around the pickup so it will flow. Almost zero issues with this system, works pretty well.