7.3L IDI turbo '94 5 speed 2WD check engine light

jetfly12

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I have the check engine light on and I would like to see what the issue is. How do I get the light to flash the numbers so I can look up the codes? Thank you

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think there is a test port under the hood or inside the cab. im not sure what your going to find because your truck has no computer. if i had to guess it might be a faulty temp or oil pressure sensor.

you should put ALL your truck info in your sig, it will really help.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a manual trans you don't have any sort of test port....Like ^^ said might be a bad sensor or you might have a real problem.

These trucks ain't got computers man....Cept for the E4DOA trucks (auto)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check engine light you say.you probably have a PSD.;) you gotta love split year vehicles.LOL

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Um, NO, not "probably". All the OBS have a Check Engine light. On the IDI, since there are no codes, the CE light is electromechanically connected to a low oil pressure switch and an over-temp switch. I don't have the diagram, and don't know at what thresholds the light comes on, but there's no doubt something about it in the owner's manual.

People seem to forget that vehicles had Check Engine lights long before they had computers.

jetfly12

Reaction score
I know for a fact that I don't have a PSD. I have water temps and oil pressure on my stock gauges and none are indicating anything bad and all is normal. I will look in my Chilton manual again but if that is all what is hooked up to, I may just ignore the problem. But is there is anyway to reset the light properly? I may replace the sensors however, but just want something temporary if possible.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's interesting i didn't know we had a CEL at all (i don't think.maybe i did but forgot lol) and it's triggered with the oil pressure and coolant senders.well that's a good idea.especially for the oil pressure.
i had snipped those sending units years back (replaced with aftermarket) so no CEL for me.gotta watch them gauges from time to time.

People seem to forget that vehicles had Check Engine lights long before they had computers.

i haven't forgot that one.........yet.:D

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know for a fact that I don't have a PSD. I have water temps and oil pressure on my stock gauges and none are indicating anything bad and all is normal. I will look in my Chilton manual again but if that is all what is hooked up to, I may just ignore the problem. But is there is anyway to reset the light properly? I may replace the sensors however, but just want something temporary if possible.
Could be that one of those wires to one of those sensors is shorting to ground, or has become disconnected and the terminal is touching metal and grounding. There's no "reset"; the sensors don't trigger a separate circuit or "event" or anything. It's purely electromechanical; the sensors just complete the circuit for the light. It's comparable to the parking brake pedal turning on the red BRAKE(!) failure warning light.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have after marker gauges and there not acting funny then you don't really have any problems. my engine light will only come on when I first start it until the oil pressure comes up or the motor or running to hot. these trucks in my mind are the most simplistic, reliable and pretty efficient vehicles on the road. in other words a check engine light wont leave you stranded 500 miles from home.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726