7.3 psd swap + trans swap

Hobbywelder

Reaction score
folks, I may be picking up a ‘97 PSD tomorrow or this weekend schedule depending. Also depends what kind of shape its in since it hasn’t ran in awhile. It unfortunately has an auto trans. So, ill be swapping its motor over, wiring and other engine bay components and leaving the rest. Ill also be looking for a donor trans and T-case.

So: my ‘93 f250 will be the recipient. It has a small block gas so the tranny wont work. But it does have a 4.10 rear end I would like to keep if the ‘97 doesn’t have disc brakes in the rear.

Given the OBD1 to OBD2 changeover, and the fact the donor truck has an auto trans, what all wiring needs to get moved over?

Would it be wise to use the instrument cluster from the ‘97 since its OBD2? Or will mine work and I just need to swap computers?

What is different in terms of clutch setup from ‘93 to ‘97? Will all of my stuff work or do i need to totally redo the setup? I know the trans is different and the slave cylinder is outside rather than in as with my truck.

In ‘97 was it still disc brakes up front and drum in the rear?

What else will I need to swap or know about in advance so that it works?

Second: power upgrades. Since ill have OBD2 I know I can chip this motor, but beyond that, I would like to see the 300hp mark. Not sure what that would be in terms of torque.
What do i need to do to make sure that the motor can handle this, and what needs to be done to get there?

Also, with the ZF-S5-47 transmission: what considerations do I need to take into account so I don’t destroy it? I know its rated for 470lbft of torque and a max GCWR of 26000lbs. But if im at 300hp and lets say 600lbft of torque with 10k behind me (roughly 16000lbs gcw), im pretty likely to burn out gears, I would assume anyway.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
1997 will still have drum brakes in the rear.
If you have to swap it anyways, I would shoot for the 6 speed from a 99-03 7.3 truck. Do the 5 speed from a 95-99 at a minimum. Rated a little higher than the 88-95 version.
Clutch hydraulics are the same.
You will need to swap the whole dash wiring. Cluster included. (You can wire up the harness to be more standalone, but it is a bit of work.)
For more power, get the hydra chip. (My recommendation would be 1023 diesel, cnc fab, or jelibuilt performance) efuel is a must imo. 4 inch turbo back exhaust, blue 6637 from riffraff, I would go ahead and upgrade the turbo. (kcturbo has some good options) possibly do bigger injectors.
It's all in how much you're willing to spend. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hobbywelder

Reaction score
1997 will still have drum brakes in the rear.
If you have to swap it anyways, I would shoot for the 6 speed from a 99-03 7.3 truck. Do the 5 speed from a 95-99 at a minimum. Rated a little higher than the 88-95 version.
Clutch hydraulics are the same.
You will need to swap the whole dash wiring. Cluster included. (You can wire up the harness to be more standalone, but it is a bit of work.)
For more power, get the hydra chip. (My recommendation would be 1023 diesel, cnc fab, or jelibuilt performance) efuel is a must imo. 4 inch turbo back exhaust, blue 6637 from riffraff, I would go ahead and upgrade the turbo. (kcturbo has some good options) possibly do bigger injectors.
It's all in how much you're willing to spend. Lol

Yes the -47 is from the 95-97 model years.

I was under the impression the ZF6 or the 99+ m/y transmissions wouldn’t work on the older style?
If they do that would be a good bit better, along with the trans cooler.
It might throw some funny lights since the dash will have the wiring for an auto trans.

Right now its as much as I want until the wife beats me with a rolling pin!

As it sits, I can probably get a good chunk of the money back from the donor truck. So that helps lol!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They will work, iirc may have to swap the rear adapter. Been awhile since I've looked into it. The 6 only gains you the extra L gear.
When you get tunes, you can tell them you swapped auto to manual, that will help.

Hobbywelder

Reaction score
They will work, iirc may have to swap the rear adapter. Been awhile since I've looked into it. The 6 only gains you the extra L gear.
When you get tunes, you can tell them you swapped auto to manual, that will help.

Ill have to look into that.

Correct me if im wrong but didn’t the zf-s6-650 have a trans cooler as well?
Also its final gear is .72 v. The s5-47 which has a .77 final gear. From what ive seen with a 4.10 its about 250rpm difference at 70-75mph.

The 4” pipe: does it just connect straight to the old pipe or how does that work? I can make my own a heckuva lot cheaper than you can buy one.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The turbo outlet is 3.5. I bought a kit that had a 3.5 to 4 downpipe, the rest was all 4. Diamond eye, believe it was $299 for the whole shebang on Amazon. Had free prime shipping to boot.
You can buy just the downpipe.
Yes, the s6 runs a cooler. Doesn't take much. The duramax ran the same transmission without a cooler. But for ease of installation, could just do the 5. If I ever needed more grunt, I stuck it in 4L without locking in the hubs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online