7.3 locked up ?

Davismotorsports

Reaction score
First let me say I have read ALOT of post regarding "7.3 wont start, just clicking" but none have touched on the problem i am currently having.
i have a 1994 E350, former uhaul 17 foot boxtruck with the 7.3 idi, i have had it over a year and has had a few minor issues but nothing to bad.
recently as i was cranking the truck up,as it was turning over, it got slower and slower, like batteries were going south, (batteries are only 6mos old) it fired over and ran fine all the way to the house, (about 20 min) i went to start in up about 30 min later, and the same thing, only this time, it didnt fire and slowly turned over until it stopped and would click, i removed batteries, charged until full, reinstalled and only get a click, pulled batteries and had tested, they were good, reinstalled, tried to start but just get a click. there appears to be a solenoid by the battery on the drivers side mounted to core support, that is clicking, also the starter is clicking. i am afraid that the motor locked up, there are only 195,000 miles on it, this is our race truck hauler and just missed a race because of this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several things you need to do.

Check battery voltage while trying to crank the starter.

Check all your grounds and positive cables for a GOOD clean connection.

Put a brake bar on the crank nut and see if the engine will turn over by hand.

I bet you have bad battery cables-connections, or a bad starter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My thoughts are the starter burned up. But please check the battery terminals before throwing parts at it. As for "locked up".. I'm not feeling that. You can test this idea by using a breaker bar and a 15/16 socket on the crank bolt. If the engine cranks around then the engine is not locked up. Just slow cranking till it wont crank any longer. Thats bad connections or a failed starter.

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this issue with my starter after an air intrusion issue, it really seemed like my batteries were toast but it turned out my started got fried when cranking without letting it cool. Replaced the starter and it starts better than it ever has.....when the fuel hasn't leaked out of the injection pump

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:D:D:D:thumbsup: See there. A failed starter was all it was after all. Our engines have such high compression and when we crank too many times the starter dies. I choose not to use drive thru for fast food because they fools making my food can't hear me over my normal running engine. So I shut down and walk in. That way I save shutting down at the order window and the drive up window. Nothing like the sound of a new starter waking up the beast is there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online